5 Years
That's exactly how long ago - to the day - it is since I set out from King's Cross on the London Spiral.
26 day walks later, having crossed the Thames by bridge, boat, underneath and cable car. I've reached the end of the track. Although some variations cross the water again to Tilbury. But there be monsters.
I've walked out of Gravesend on the London Countryway, and I was right to not expect too much. It's impossible to access or escape, with gyratory road systems and urban spread.
But I have to get there first - and that is no fun at all either.
It's all lanes to Grub Street, where I thought I would be grateful for the countryside to the admittedly pretty Southfleet. Alas, the countryside is a horror show. Head height crops and disappearing paths. It is possible to walk around the sweetcorn but a wade through thigh-high stinging nettles and thistles is impossible.
The only photo I have is an unopened pub in Southfleet.
From a walking perspective, a fitting end to the London Spiral Walk. It's certainly not been one for the walking purist and there were times - especially in the latter stages of housing estates of unloved London boroughs, where I thought of knocking it on the head.
Instead, I have proved that I see things through to the bitter end.
A planned two-centre celebration for the new Good Beer Guide Ticks in Gravesend.
The Three Pillars is easily missed. A cellar bar in a Masonic hall, accessed only by steep steps. Even with Google Maps, it's a tough find.
So you would think they would make it easy for the unsuspecting traveller who has made it this far. The first sign is "Cash Only". Of course, I have no cash. You can't lie to Bromley Tramps if you do.
Despite a friendly but complicated explanation of where the nearest cash point is, I saw nothing (apart from the air conditioning) to warrant drinking alone in an underground bunker.
My other new tick - reached without passing an ATM - is the Invicta Bar.
They take card here. Mainly because they charge £7.40 to celebrate the end of an odyssey like a Mexican.
Of course, there will be a summary blog of the route. Once I have had time to review 26 walks over 5 years.
Walk Details
Distance - 9 miles
Start - Farningham Road
Finish - Gravesend
Areas Walked - Gravesend
Geocaches - 1
Pubs - 2
Previous Walks - Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3, Stage 4, Stage 5, Stage 6, Stage 7, Stage 8, Stage 9, Stage 10, Stage 11, Stage 12, Stage 13, Stage 14, Stage 15, Stage 16, Stage 17, Stage 18, Stage 19, Stage 20, Stage 21, Stage 22, Stage 23, Stage 24, Stage 25




No comments:
Post a Comment