Saturday 21 September 2024

21/09/24 - London Spiral - Stage 16 - Penge to Woolwich

Green Corridors to Scary Woolwich

A comprehensively good walk in South East London. Fast disappearing. Most suburbs ending in Ham, as I negotiate Beckenham, Mottingham and Eltham, before finishing up at Woolwich. The Elizabeth Line the quickest and cheapest way to get back into town, leaving a river crossing for the start of the next stage.

Kent House, South Penge is the start of the walk. Waiting for a GPS signal, I am instantly met by the local wildlife.
Parakeets in South East London
Parakeets on a Wire

I'm soon picking up existing and official Long Distance Paths - The Capital Ring, The Green Chain Link and St John's Walk take me along green corridors and through some fine walking country. Discovering;

Beckenham Place Park
Beckenham Place Park - The Georgian Mansion House
Downham Woodland Walk
A Woodland Trail
Views over the City at Mottingham
Best views over the City for a long while
Eltham Place
Eltham Palace - A Medieval Royal Residence
Sevendroog Castle
Severndrrog castle - a folly on Shooters Hill

Both refreshment stops are in Eltham - a traditional gem and a micro.

Its easy to fall in love with the Park Tavern. My arrival is five minutes before opening, so I can wait with increasing expectation for the scrape of the bolt - only to find several punters already bedded in. Lots of maybes. Maybe Google have the wrong hours. Maybe they haven't gone home from last night. Maybe there is an opposite name to a Lock In?  A Crack Open?

The Park Tavern, Eltham
Handsome. Proper. Free.

And look at this interior - a modern interpretation of a classic bar counter?

The Park Tavern, Eltham
As if I couldnt love it more

Adnams Broadside taken into the last of the 2024 sunshine, wondering if I have enough of the Anthony Bourdain in me to lunch at the Mash and Eel cafe opposite. I don't.

A little bit of Kent is found at the Long Pond. A micro pub, that will be remembered for Kent Ales (Hop Buzz Martello), Kent Crisps and a newspaper on every table.

Long Pond, Eltham
Micro Pubs in Eltham, Kent

All downhill to Woolwich. I've got to admit, for the first time in my London wanderings, my danger senses are tingling overtime. Groups of men, hanging around on most street corners with cans and jazz cigarettes. Shirtless men howling at the skies and trying to break into church fetes. Architecturally becoming increasingly shanty. Was I correct to be on edge, or has Elon's algorithms polluted my mind to the end of Western civilisation? Possibly, but the day after I wake to the sad news of yet another fatal daylight stabbing in the very next street to where I was plodding.

Woolwich
Once at the the Waterfront, its very handsome.

Walk Information

Distance - 12 Miles

Start - Kent House

Finish - Woolwich

Areas Walked - Beckenham, Mottingham, Eltham, Shooters Hill, Woolwich

Geocaches - 7 and two Adventure Lab Caches

Pubs - 2

Previous Walks - Stage 1Stage 2Stage 3Stage 4Stage 5Stage 6Stage 7Stage 8Stage 9Stage 10Stage 11Stage 12Stage 13Stage 14, Stage 15


No comments:

Post a Comment