Monday 23 September 2024

23/09/24 - Pershore to Evesham Rail Trail

God Damn the Ferryman

My annual reminder that two things in life don't work. Goretex and cardboard ID Cards. Despite having the "best in test" mountain raincoat, water ingress starts at about mile 4. Despite having my National Trust card in the inner sleeve of my phone case, I am completing a request for a replacement. Dog eared doesn't begin to describe its current state. The phone is still working.

I knew the weather was going to be awful, but two students required dropping off at Worcester Parkway, so its time for me to check the end of month finances. A return to Evesham a whopping £11. When I am king, rail journey costs will be based on time duration and be less than what can be earned on the equivalent minimum wage.

The 10 mile route at times follows the Wychavon Way and Shakespeare's Avon Way. Through Wyre Piddle and then Fladbury, where things get so bad weather-wise, I consider alternatives.

Fladbury Bus Service
Mon - Fri, No Service. Sat, No Service, Sun No Service. At least the bus shelter had a roof

Red Lane, and I can just about see Evesham across the water. 

Evesham
Grimness not seen since the Langdale Pikes

I've done my homework, and a couple of miles can be shaved off by the Hampton-Evesham Ferry. A service I have used in the past, although inflation has hit. A 100% increase since 2016, although still a bargain £1.

The boat is my side, but where is the man? Doors are knocked. Phone numbers are rung. Google is consulted (7 days a week until the end of September). Coins are placed over my eyes, as I lie down and simply give up.

The Hampton-Evesham Ferry
Come on man, a face a bit of rain and you get a shiny coin!

I fancied another couple of miles on foot to find the bridge. I haven't been splashed by lorries yet.

The return trains are not too frequent, so only Tim Martin can save the day. is 24 minutes enough time to order a breakfast. Eat the breakfast. Down an Old Hooky and walk the remaining 0.3 miles to the station.

The Old Swanne, Evesham

Or course he does.... 3 minutes to spare for a train that comes on time and then is held for 10 minutes.

I could have had pudding.

Walk Details

Distance - 10 Miles

Geocaches - 4




1 comment: