Monday 1 July 2024

01/07/24 - Worcestershire Parkway to Foregate Street Rail Trail

Worcestershire's First New Station since 1860


More walking inspiration... Rail Trails appear to be getting a bit of a moment in 2024. A new national web site pointed me to some fine work completed by Rail Trails Worcestershire. Downloadable GPXs and very neat PDF downloads available.

Just look at those options

Nomadic students need to be delivered to Worcestershire Parkway, so I tag along to make my own way back to the Royal City. In a rare moment of railway improvements in the C21st, Parkway is first new station in Worcestershire since 1860. It straddles two lines - the much walked Cotswold Line and new direct access to Nottingham and Cardiff.

It's also in the middle of nowhere. Reflected by the early stages of the waking, only dead trees, crops and toy-town new build estates - where the only good thing I can say is that the public footpaths have been maintained. 

Dead Tree at Norton, Worcestershire
Blog is in trouble, if this is the best photo I can bring

Once the M5 is tunnel crossed, the walking improves. Worcester Woods Country Park offering a choice of refreshment cafe stops. Before I know it, I am in the City, walking past Shrub Hill, with the canal delivering me to Foregate Street.

Worcestershire Woods Visitor Centre
Refreshment Option 1 - Worcester Woods Visitors Centre
Worcester to Birmingham Canal
A Wharf off the Worcester Birmingham Canal

Monday morning, 11am. Seems a bit early for my traditional haunts of Hoplords and Tripel Bs, so I decide to go properly continental with an independent coffee shop.

£3 for an Americano.

An afternoon visit to my mothers give me the detail that only real pensioners know. 'Spoons is £1.57 and I can have as many refills as needed. 2-3 acceptable. Stealing the cup for a next visit freebie frowned upon.

I'd call for Tim to be knighted for services to the cash sensible. But that has already happened.

Walk Details

Distance - 6 Miles

Geocaches - 2 


No comments:

Post a Comment