Tuesday 16 July 2024

17/07/24 - Upton-Upon-Severn to Worcester Pilgrimage

Looking for German Beer


Has it really been four years since my last Pilgrimage? The British Pilgrim Trust provide a wonderful walking resource. Many Long Distance Paths but also a series of day walks. This is my second, running from Upton, mainly along the Severn Way Path and ending at Worcester. 

There's always something in the way at Upton. Last year we made the mistake of traumatising a Guide Dog Puppy on May Day. She didn't take kindly to the Folk Festival. Especially the spontaneous outbreaks of Morris Dancing.

As I pick up the river path, I think I am in trouble again.The barriers are up for the Blues festival early arrivals, with the event taking place on the flood plain that I need to walk. 

Upton Upon Severn
One of the many pubs in Upton

There is gap in the fence and I march on through. Later in the week, I am told that it is a free event anyway, so I may have been worrying unnecessarily about access restrictions.

There are two villages along the route.  First, Severn Stoke - with a war memorial and a classic country pub, the Rose and Crown.

Severn Stoke
Pub and Church, but 10am is too early
Severn Stoke
Summer is here.

And then Kempsey, where only the Western extremities are walked, bypassing possible pubby refreshment. The churchyard makes for a fine resting point.

Kempsey Church
A row of headstones framing the path to the river.

Now onto the moaning.... most of the Severn Way is like this.

Severn Way
Perfect, tranquil walking on lush grass

However, the stretch to the North of Kempsey - where the farmer has fenced off the path - hosts 5ft stingers and is simply impassable. Disappointing that a long distance trail can be such bad condition. I may well write a strongly worded letter to the lead singer of Echo and the Bunnymen. My legs still have the not totally unpleasant post-stung ticklely feeling two days later.

English Civil War battlefield viewpoints and information boards digested and the water bottle is running out. It's a relief to hit Worcester civilisation.

Coming back to Worcester along the prom
Heading into town at Diglis

My last Worcester Pilgrimage resulted in Belgian Beer at Tripel Bs. For variety and to demonstrate my cosmopolitan credentials, its German Helles Lager I am looking for. 

And I know just the place.

Hoplords is a tiny bottle-shop in the City Centre. But what a resource.... Fridge after fridge of liquid delight and always a good collection of keg. There were two other strong contenders for the Mappiman Dollar (Kernal and Deya) but its not every day you find Tegernseer Spezial on draught.

Talk about hitting the spot.

Hoplords, Worcester
Glass is close enough.

I'm filing today under "Successful".

Walk Details

Distance - 11.5 Miles

Geocaches - 2


No comments:

Post a Comment