Thursday 4 July 2024

04/07/24 - Three More in Liverpool's Georgian Quarter

Every-time I go to Liverpool, I fall in love....


A rather cultural walk exploring Liverpool's slave trading past left in the rather magnificent Georgian Quarter. With a thirst. This was tough, as I recognised the streets and many great boozers in this part of town from a previous crawl. But fear not, I am nothing if not disloyal.

3 new Good Beer Guide Ticks available and yet another proclamation for the City's best pub.

The Pen Factory, is located in superb street for boozers. Hope Street seems to run between the two cathedrals. The Philharmonic Rooms is perhaps the most famous, but I was also keen to investigate Casa Bar. If its good enough for Paul Heaton, its good enough for me. Despite Google showing it open, the black door was firmly shut. My Facebook message remains unanswered. One for another day. Or night.

If the Pen Factory bar-staff were disappointed with a new customer asking about the opening hours of a rival, they hid it well. I added that I was always coming here as well. So, what did I find?

Easy to miss, with the main room down a flight of stairs. 

Pen Factory, Liverpool
Down we go....

Initial school canteen vibes, with rows of bench seating. The bible says the food is very good. Along with the beer. What would you choose from Sierra Nevada on keg, Plum Porter and Oakham Citra on cask? All I needed was somewhere comfy to enjoy my much deliberated choice. The best seats are in the corner. Next to weird pen making machinery. 

Pen Factory, Liverpool
Spot the Citra

It's not really what I am after, with no pubby vibe at all. Not to worry - the next two have that in spades.

I doubt I will take a better internal pub photos this year than the ones I took in Peter Kavanagh's.

Peter Kavanaghs, Liverpool
Meet my little friend
Peter Kavanaghs, Liverpool
The alligator a giveaway for this months Twitter "Where am I now?" Congratulations to Mark Critchley and thanks for the recommendations
Peter Kavanaghs, Liverpool
Tables with special cigarette extinguishing properties.  Fascinatingly obsolete.

It's not too shabby outside - Grade II Listed and slowly consuming its neighbours. In a fine example of worlds combining, the plaque outside has all the information needed for a Georgian Liverpool Adventure Lab Cache (ALC). If I hadn't got four more stages to do, I would have stayed for more Timothy Taylor Landlord.
Peter Kavanaghs, Liverpool
Everything you need to know

Peter Kavanaghs, Liverpool
Slowly taking over the street
Peter Kavanaghs, Liverpool
Rita - Liverpool's oldest landlady

I've a new favourite.

ALC completed and time to celebrate in the Belvedere. First brought to my attention when watching the Neptune Brewery owners on YouTube talking about their favourite drinking dens.

The Belvedere, Liverpool
Georgian Splendour

If the PF was a bistro and PK was a beautiful museum to drinking, then the Belvedere is an oasis of Deserters partaking in afternoon drinking. A tiny bar - with what may have been ahead of their time unisex loos - four other punters were enough to have me chortling and joining in with pubby banter. I avoided the election debate but contributed to famous people who are not allowed to like certain music. Although David Cameron being banned by Johnny Marr from liking the Smiths could be deemed electioneering.

Beer wise - a board tells me all I needed to know and a rather fine selection of continental bottles making choice near impossible.

The Belvedere, Liverpool
Not every pub offers Keg, Craft and German

The Belvedere, Liverpool
Ever the contrarian, I went Austrian

I'm almost at the end of the city's Good Beer Guide ticking but there is one more chance to fall in love just one more time.

With either Captain Alexandar or Augustus John.


No comments:

Post a Comment