Saturday 8 July 2023

08/07/23 - Liverpool - A Georgian Quarter Good Beer Guide Pub Crawl

 Another Liverpool Pub Crawl... Another New Favourite?


Third time crawling in Liverpool, after doing the must visits and more recently, Dale Street.

Today, I am in the Georgian Quarter - close to the City Centre, with architecture not totally dissimilar to the part of North London where all the politicians live.

Once again, I end the day impressed with the choices on offer. Every trip seems to generate a new favourite. Maybe its good to share the title around.

The Globe in Cases Street wins that prize for today. I tweet about having learned never to judge a book by its cover and a Roger Protz retweet about being the location of the first CAMRA meeting in Liverpool nearly 50 years ago sends me viral.

Liverpool seems to generate this sort of interation.


The clever people who can read backwards pointed out a stronger clue as to my location.

It certainly doesn't look much from the outside.

The Globe, Liverpool
Old School

Inside, a small front bar around a horseshoe bar, with an almost secret room behind. Wall mounted brewing paraphernalia.Timothy Taylor Boltmaker from a handpull festooned with the Champion Award medal.

I could have stayed all day, listening to the old boys bantering.  

A different, slightly unusual experience at the next tick - the Fly in the Loaf in Hardman Street. Named as such, as the premises are a re-purposed bakery.

Fly in the Loaf
Boozing in a Bakery

Judging by the amount of different ways that chips can be "loaded" on the menu, I think this is aiming for the Student demographic. And in July, there are no Students. That's the only explanation I have for why I ended up in such a cavernous venue alone.  I say alone. The barman was here. He looked me up and down and automatically applied a CAMRA discount on my TT Landlord, bringing it to the odd £4.23.

We must have a certain look about us.

Moving on and its The Grapes in Roscoe Street and I find PubsGalore stalwart, Blue Scrumpy's, favourite Liverpool boozer. 
The Grapes is probably still just about my favourite pub in Liverpool. When it's quiet (generally during the afternoon), it's a lovely place to while away a few hours and working your way through the beer selection. When it's busy (evenings), it has a really lively atmosphere and appears to be much favoured by students.
No disagreement from me - I found Utopian ESB on Cask.  

The Grapes, Liverpool
Apparently, they have the best selection of Rum this side of Cuba

The Grapes, Liverpool
ESB - Must stand for Extra Special Beer

Having never found Utopian on cask before, I then find it twice. Final new Tick is The Dispensary in Renshaw Street where I find Extra Pale Ale on hand-pull. It's another standout traditional pub but one with a USP to make its stand out from crowd.

Taytos at the Dispensary, Liverpool
Would say the King of Crisps but I once nearly died a happy death of indigestion on Slabs 

That's it for new pubs - but I know you would be disappointed in me if I didn't.


54 likes and counting....... I told you people love Liverpool boozers!


No comments:

Post a Comment