Sunday 30 July 2023

30/07/23 - Chiltern Chain Walk - Stage 17 - Christmas Common

The Unexpected Remoteness of the Chiltern Hills


Nearly 6 hours and 15 miles walking in the Chilterns. On several named paths - the Ridgeway, the Chiltern Way, the Oxfordshire Way. Yet I pass few people, visit no villages and the only pub is a revisit to the Fox and Hounds at Christmas Common. Visited on Stage 16 of the Chiltern Way.

I should have made a note of the entertainment that the walk author achieved. He recorded every wild flower observed to keep himself going. I can give you are report on the animals encountered - two large deers and a hare.

The walk starts at the Watlington Hill National Trust Car Park and works its way south to pickup the ridgeway, It's the usual Chiltern Ups and Downs, on great tracks and through lots of woods - the biggest being Warburg Nature Reserve. Packed lunch at Pishill Church and a most welcome post walk pint in on a sofa under a teepee at the Fox and Hounds. The Untappd lowest ever scoring Brakspear Gravity once again defying its poor reputation. Perfectly kept and I'll do my best to raise its average rating.

Dropping down from Watlington Hill
Starting the day going downhill from Watlington Hill NT Car Park
Warburg Nature Reserve
Information booth at Warburg Nature Reserve
Pishill Church
Pishill Church - View from a lunchstop bench
Oxfordshire Way
The Oxfordshire Way taking me home

Brakspeare Gravity - on a Sofa.  Under a teepee.
Familiar Ground, Familiar Pint - Brakspear Gravity at the Fox and Hounds, Christmas Common

I wish I could bring you more than a scattering of meaningless photos.

Next time, I will come prepared with my Guidebook to British Wild Flowers.

Walk Information

Distance - 14.5 Miles

Geocaches - 2 

Walk Inspiration

Previous Stages - Stage 1Stage 2Stage 3Stage 4Stage 5Stage 6Stage 7Stage 8Stage 9Stage 10Stage 11Stage 12Stage 13Stage 14Stage 15, Stage 16


No comments:

Post a Comment