Friday 7 April 2023

07/04/23 - Chiltern Chain Walk - Stage 16 - Cowleaze Woods

 Another beautifully boring yomp through the Chilterns

Only snippets of drama on this leg of the Chiltern Chain Walk. An Adventure Lab Cache in Cowleaze Woods tells me of the WWII crash site, taking me off path to find the memorial to 7 lost aviators. The information board summing it up best when saying "Tragically, having survived thousands of miles flown across Europe, they crashed here when they were so nearly home"  

Cowleaze Woods Memorial
Cowleaze Woods Memorial
Cowleaze Woods Memorial
Cowleaze Woods Inscription

The next 12 miles are so typical of the Chilterns. Super walking, amazing views, valley descents and climbs. Unusually for a Bank Holiday, its gorgeous blue skies and it would be a real curmudgeon whose mood is not lifted by the sight of new born lambs and walking along a valley floor under the shadow of soaring red kites.

Stokenchurch Tower
Stokenchurch Tower - a marker along the M40 that means I am 90 minutes from home
The Oxfordshire Plains
Frequent views like the Oxfordshire Plain, towards the end of the route

The route runs through Wormsley Valley to the dry village of Ibstone. With the exception of the Barn restaurant at Turville Heath - pre-bookings only - there are no refreshment stops of any kind on this route until Christmas Common. And this requires a long pull uphill through Fire Wood.

I have never been so pleased to see a Brakspear Pub.

Fox and Hounds, Christmas Common
Water had expired 2m before arrival

The Fox and Hounds is a quintessential country pub, appealing to ramblers and diners in equal quantities. A small bar offers the smallest choice of drinks (wine excluded) that I think I have ever seen. Four keg fonts and a single cask hand-pull. At least the Brakspear Gravity session bitter will be fresh.

I take it outside for a choice of seating, either inside or outside a massive wigwam.

Fox and Hounds, Christmas Common
Think Nan is wondering why I photo my pints

Enough signal for Untappd, where I am surprised this session bitter scores so low.  2.9 may well be the lowest rating I have noticed. Yes, it 3.4%. Yes, I've purchased it four times previously and don't remember.  But it was clear, foamy refreshment that was most enjoyed. Maybe beer is all about circumstance. I was parched, the sun was shining and I knew was just a mile and a half from getting out of my walking boots and into comfort.

Alas, I hadn't expected that last mile and a half to be a drop down to the Oxfordshire plain and climb back up.

1450ft ascent in the gentle Chilterns.

Walk Information

Distance - 12.5 Miles

Geocaches - 3 and an 8 ALCs

Walk Inspiration

Previous Stages - Stage 1Stage 2Stage 3Stage 4Stage 5Stage 6Stage 7Stage 8Stage 9Stage 10Stage 11Stage 12Stage 13Stage 14, Stage 15


No comments:

Post a Comment