Saturday 27 March 2021

27/03/21 - Chiltern Chain Walk - Stage 10 - Amersham

Distance - 12.5 Miles

Geocaches - 9

Walk Inspiration

Previous Stages - Stage 1Stage 2Stage 3Stage 4Stage 5Stage 6Stage 7Stage 8, Stage 9


Stage 10 and half way through the Chiltern Chain Walk.  Like many people, I'm not meeting targets that I set myself but I am expecting 2021 to improve from this point on.

This is a fine section of the route - linking a number of pretty flint stone villages together.  The start is Amersham Old Town, which was thoroughly explored in Stage 9 through an Adventure Lab Cache.  Returning to this timeless village at the end of the walk, I couldn't help but feel disappointed that I missed the chance to sample some of the fine looking watering holes.

Swan and Eagle - Amersham Old Town
The Swan and Eagle demonstrating how easy an Amersham Pub Crawl would be

I hit the countryside early, heading to the villges of Coleshill, Winchmore Hill and Penn Street - all seemingly wet led, with a country pub in each.   Penn Wood provides the first terrain variety, leaving flint strewn fields for dense woodland.
Leaving Amersham Old Town
The Way to Coleshill

Penn Wood
Penn Wood

Holmer Green leads to Little Kingshill via an unending series of stiles, with the prize being the highlight of the walk.

The Misbourne Valley has everything a rambler needs.  An unofficial lunch before dropping down to the valley floor to the South Bucks Way.  However, my prepared lunch may have been hasty.  Both pubs in Little Missenden were open - with the frankly bizarre site of a pub garden fully occupied by coffee drinking pensioners.  When will this madness end?

And to keep me going as the miles kick in and I feel every step of the last 10 miles in my knees?  A series of family friendly geocaches to keep the mind occupied.

Lunch Stop
My lunch spot, overlooking the Misbourne Valley
Little Missenden
But the Bucks Pensioners were taking coffee at the Red Lion
Misbourne Valley
The Misbourne Valley
Misbourne Valley
And the Geocache laden South Bucks Way

Just as I reach civilisation, I can hear Sister Sledge's "Lost In Music" belting out from a teepee, learning where everyone walking towards me had got their takeaway coffees from.  A bargain, at nearly half the price the Grocers ripped me off for in Old Amersham on Stage 9 - with the added bonus of seating in a disco atmosphere.

Unexpected Coffee Shop
Feel So Alive

In a twist that needs recording to show there is a higher power - I catch up on a couple of spotify albums on the journey home.  Once Arab Strap and Nick Cave's new albums are over, Spotify resorts to random selections.

First up - The Fall's cover of Lost in Music.  He quit his ten till five.

No comments:

Post a Comment