Sunday 26 August 2018

26/08/18 - Chiltern Chain Walk - Stage 1 - Dunstable Downs

Distance - 12 Miles
Geocaches - 6
Walk Inspiration
Pub - Old Hunters Lodge, Whipsnade


A classic case of one idea generating another.   Back in June, I completed a fantastic 10 mile walk along the Chess Valley in the Chilterns.  I started to research other walks in the area and stumbled upon the "Chiltern Chain Walk".

It's not an official Long Distance Path but has been generated by a keen amateur, who I know only as Pete.  Pete has meticulously documented 20 circular walks to take you across the area.   See his blog in the Walk Inspiration link at the top of this post for route guidance and information on what is encountered.

You could argue, with the Heart of England Way and the London Countryway not yet complete, that the last thing I need is commitment to another path.  So no guarantees on when I will finish this one, but rest assured, I will.

Stage 1 was a good walk, rounded off with a visit to a 2018 Good Beer Guide Pub.

The walk starts at the Chiltern Gateway Centre, just outside but worlds away from Dunstable.   If you're looking for a kite purchase, I can recommend nowhere better. 

Chiltern Gateway Centre
The Kite Shack
I'm walking in a clockwise direction and Pete's instructions are better than my OS Map.  He takes me on genuine rights of way path that my Explorer 181 does not have marked.    There's a trail of Geocaches along this way but I don't think the CO wants them to be found.  Multiple D5's on a 12 mile walk when you are trying to beat the rain are not what is required.

Early stages of the walk are functional, rather than photo generating in their excitement.   Woodland walking around Kensworth Chalk Quarry to the rather out of scale, based on the size of the hamlet, church.

Early Woodland Walking
This is Woodland Walking
Kensworth Church
Kensworth Church

Agricultural fields for a couple of miles into Markyate.   I haven't taken too many photos and Markyate is not going to change this.   Even the church is ugly.  You'll have to make do with something else ugly - me 2 miles further on in Great Bradwin's Wood.

Me in Great Badwins Wood
I kept to the paths
More geocaches are picked up at Studham Church and these are designed to be found.   The rules of this global treasure hunting game have to be explained to a startled dog walker, as I emerge from the undergrowth, triumphant.  She's completely uninterested and tells me that she sees all sorts of weirdos on her dog walks.

Studham Church
Another Bedfordshire Church - Studham
Whipsnade coming up next, a small village with plenty of interest.   It has a zoo and I walk the fenced perimeter hoping to bring exotic wildlife to my blog.   There is a pair of wallaby's but with the lack of zoom on my camera, I would be accused of trying to fob you off with photos of big rabbits.

There's the National Trust Cathedral of Trees.   Does what it says on tin and was planted to commemorate WWI in 1930s.

Whipsnade Zoo Perimeter
Whipsande Zoo Perimeter - More interesting than distant shots of Wallabys.
Tree Cathedral
Entrance to the Cathedral of Trees


Finally, a little further down the road from Whipsnade Church is today's pub - The Old Hunters Lodge.

You're never quite sure what you are going to get in the Good Beer Guide - and I have to admit that this 2018 entry is a surprise.   Yes, its beautiful looking on the outside but its a gastropub - where they have all the tables set for dining and through earwigging, have two types of Cabernet Sauvignon.

Beerwise, its Doom Bar, London Pride and Tring Ridgeway for the LocALEs.  I played safe and went with the London Pride.  Glassware tells a different story.

Old Hunters Lodge, Whipsnade
The Old Hunting Lodge - Thatched Lovliness

Old Hunting Lodge, Whipsnade
THATCHERS?  In the one tiny area not setup for fine dining

Old Hunting Lodge, Whipsnade
£4.60 a pint, contributing to the electricity bill
An odd choice for a Good Beer Guide entry.... but then again, the bible also contains Wetherspoons - who have done the most unpubby thing imaginable and banned dogs.

Back to the walk and I was trying to save the hollywood photos for the grand finale.  The weather had other ideas.   The Icknield Way provides a gently climbing green lane that deliverers the walk to the Dunstable Downs ridge - where far reaching views over Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire are promised.   Except, of course, on Bank Holiday Weekends.

"Views" over Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire
Here for the Views....

Other Fools
... And so are they
A thoroughly enjoyable ramble and I appreciate the effort Pete went to in creating a detailed and informative resource.

I will be back for Stage 2 before the end of the 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment