Monday 8 March 2021

07/03/21 - Knapp and Papermill Nature Reserve

Distance - 7.5 Miles
Geocaches - 4
Walk Inspiration - Hike and Get Merry Route on Meetup




One of my pre-Covid plans was to join some group walks - either by joining the Ramblers or looking at MeetUp - where I found this route and is scheduled for six members on 11/4/21.  Its oversubscribed - so off I went to investigate solo.

The Knapp and Papermill Nature Reserve is a haven for bird and butterfly spotting and offers a lovely little walk along the Leigh Brook. Guide dog in training Abi would have potentially loved the dunk, but the signs state that there is no access to the water.  

Knapp and Papermill Nature Reserve
Leigh Brook - Inviting to a Dog but Out of Bounds

Next up is a climb of The Suckley Hills - an outcrop of the Malverns.  The OS Map doesn't show access to Crews Hill as a Right of Way but on arrival, its another nature reserve.  A good broad path up through the trees but no reward of fine views to mark the effort until you reach the gap at Newhouse Farm.
 
Views over Malvern
Looking South to the Malverns

The walking is that good that I became lost in my own thouights and missed the turning right off Round Hill.

In normal times, this diversion would reward you with a pub.  Obviously my subconscious was taking over.
Fox and Hounds, Lulsley
Lulsley's Fox and Hounds

The stretch between Ravenshill Green and Alfrick is the scene of a previously visited Geocache Trail, with a James Bond Theme.  It was five years ago that I made a poor attempt at finding these.  I've either got better at it or they are easier in Winter, as I cleared up 4 previous fails.

A lovely walk - so I'll keep my eyes on the Meetup group and plan to get some future company.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment