Monday 10 April 2023

10/04/23 - Centenary Way - Stage 17 - Ufton

 A HS2 induced disaster of a day, saved by a welcome 11am opener

When I look back over my 20 years of walking, there have been many disasters. I've fallen over and been blown over. I forded waist high Scottish rivers in spate in January. Lake district bogs have stolen a shoe. I've been bitten by dogs and nearly had my head taken off by buck-a-roo style horses.

But never have I had to abandon the walk until today. In a day of disasters - HS2 finally defeats me.

Disaster 1 - The weather is abysmal, that fine rain that Peter Kay brought to our attention as soaking you through. I do have upper and lower hard shells, plus protective covers for my electronics - even if the big camera needs to be left at home. 

Disaster 2 - I've only gone and left my walking boots at home. I'll be attempting a walk after a record breaking wet March in my veteran suede Scarpa approach shoes. Soles worn worryingly thin after 13 years service.

Disaster 3 - My footpath south of Stoney Thorpe Hall fenced off until 2024 due to HS2. No alternative available. A dangerous walk back along the re-routed itself A425. 

Getting through HS2 at Longhole Bridge
HS2 passable at Longhole Bridge - but unpleasant
Grand Union Canal
Where the Grand Union Canal is picked up

I arrive back at the Ufton White Horse at 11:10am, expecting no reward for my safe return.  However, in a rare bright spot - this is an 11am opener, even on a bank holiday.

White Horse, Ufton
Idyllic pub location, with fine views over Warwickshire 

I'm not sure why a dining pub would open at 11am. The chef and waiting staff don't arrive until midday but liquid refreshment is available from friendly staff who are interrupted from setting up for the day by offering counselling to an angry damp man, who doubts he will live long enough to enjoy the fruits of a new train service to the smoke.

Three of the Purity brewery range available and for a first pour of the day, the Ubu was better than I could have hoped for.

White Horse, Ufton
All tables set for dining

I'll link the planned walk below.  Just don't attempt it until the damned line is completed.

Walk Information

Distance - 6 Miles achieved

Geocaches - 1

Pubs - White Horse, Ufton

Previous Stages - Stage 1Stage 2Stage 3Stage 4Stage 5Stage 6Stage 7Stage 8Stage 9Stage 10Stage 11Stage 12Stage 13Stage 14Stage 15, Stage 16

1 comment: