Saturday 12 February 2022

12/02/22 - Centenary Way - Stage 7 - Sutton Stop

Distance - 8 Miles

Geocaches - 5

Pub - The Greyhound, Sutton Stop

Previous Stages - Stage 1Stage 2Stage 3Stage 4Stage 5, Stage 6


I am meant to be walking the Centenary Way on monthly jaunts into Warwickshire. 12 months in and I am on Stage 7.  This tells its own story on the quality of the rambling but things are improving. This leg is a solid 6/10.  Two of those points granted as it starts from a cracking pub, a stalwart of the Good Beer Guide.

The Greyhound Pub sits where the Coventry and Oxford Canal merge. Tiny inside, not helped by the fact it is so popular.  Since my last visit, a Covid Crime Tent has been added to the exterior, so at least you can enjoy your Bass in some degree of comfort. A 3 sausage, all day breakfast known as "the morning glory" is a fine post walk accompaniment to the rustling of tent flaps.  

Greyhound, Sutton Stop
The Greyhound, Sutton

I am, of course, getting ahead of myself.  This is the reward after the walk, where I head SE on the Oxford canal.  Ansty - a two pub village, where a quite stark choice between "community" and "gastro" is my complicated exit from the canal.  I have to walk under the M69 to find the road bridge and then double back on myself to continue. Noonhill Farm not allowing the rambler to share their more convenient bridge.

Ansty - Pub 1
Ansty is Stage 8 Startinig point - will I go "Community"
Ansty - Pub 2
Or Gastro....

The route back follows the Coventry Way - an interesting Circular walk around the City that can also be broken down into a series of day walks.  It's on the list... dependent on post HS2 disruption.

Its decent paths through agricultural fields to the intriguingly named hamlet of Barnacle.  A little bit of pub detective work is required.  The OS Map has the big blue cup of joy, but the pub has long gone.  Through Google Street Map and when at GZ, I was unable to determine the building that housed the pub.  Internet based searches suggest was called the Red Lion.  Practically no information to be found, least of all a photograph.

Coventry Way
A Coventry Way - 40 Miles, through 21 Circular Walks
Barnacle
Spot the ex-Pub in Barnacle

The Coventry Canal is picked up where I left it at Stage 6 - Coalpit Fields - and a few geocaches keep me entertained until I meet the point where the two waterways meet.

Sutton Stop
The View from a table laded with draught Bass


No comments:

Post a Comment