Monday 3 January 2022

03/01/22 - Centenary Way Stage 6 - Bermuda

Distance - 9 Miles

Geocaches - 4

Good Beer Guide Pub #637 - Weaver's Arms, Bulkington

Previous Stages - Stage 1Stage 2Stage 3Stage 4, Stage 5



Whisper it quietly, but the Centenary Way may have improved slightly.  Bland Warwickshire agricultural fields are replaced in part by a section along the Coventry Canal.  

I start at the new build Bermuda Station - just a couple of miles out of Nuneaton.  I would have gone all Greta Thunberg and let the train take the strain but for the three dismal words of "Rail Replacement Service".  Bank holiday thwarts my transport plans but does bring joy later in the walk.

From the station, the Faultlands provide access to the canal, where it is 3miles of quiet towpath walking, South to Coalpit Fields on the edge of Bedworth.

Coventry Canal at Bermuda
Coventry Canal, looking back at Marston Junction

Centenary Way Marker at Coalpit Fields
Leaving at Coalpit Field, following the Centenary Way markers

The route circuits the edge of Bulkington, where the Good Beer Guide has an entry - the Weaver's Arms.  Monday opening hours are 4pm, but I take a chance that it will be open all day on a Monday Bank Holiday.

For the first time in blogging history, my bravery is rewarded with an open door.

Weaver's Arms, Bulkington
The sign of beers to come

News has not reached the Good People of Bulkington.  Its just me, the landlord taking down the Christmas decorations and an over-friendly terrier called Ted.  

Just the Bass on and the landlord lets it build like a pint of Guinness in a good Irish Bar.  He pours 3/4, gets back to stuffing an acrylic tree into a cardboard box and comes back 5 minutes later.  The end result is significantly better than this;


I take a pew and Ted the dog comes in for a cuddle.  He starts to lick my ears.  The landlord says that if he really likes me, he will hump me.  I take a photo, just in case the authorities need to be informed.

Weaver's Arms, Bulkington
Future Photofit

Bass, the first cask of the year on Jan the 3rd.  It took me till April in 2021 to hit the same milestone - an Otter, sat outside Ye Olde Swan at Radcot.

The rest of the today's centenary way reverts to type - Warwickshire fields - but its been the best leg so far.

More Warwickshire Fields
Centenary Way - reverting to type

Optimism high for Stage 7 - I'm sure that Hawkesbury Juntcion is the home of the Greyhound Inn, a frequent winner of CAMRA Pub of The Year awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment