Sunday 16 January 2022

16/01/21 - The Barnes Trail

Distance - 4 Miles

Geocaches - 1

Walk Inspiration - Andrew Duncan's Walking Village London

Pubs - 3

I'd forgotten that the Hammersmith Bridge is still closed the road traffic.  With infrequent Sunday trains - that at one point were not even running due to engineering works - it's a complex journey on tube and bus that involves getting lost in Hammersmith.

Psychogeograpgy at its finest, when you are going around in circles looking for the bus stop and find the Rik Mayall bench from the opening credits of Bottom.

Rik Mayall Bench
The Man, The Myth, The Legend

Eventually, I find my way to Barnes Bridge.  

The walk is very simple, back alleys through cottages that wouldn't look out of place in a Cornish fishing village. The green spaces of Barnes Common - following metal disc markers labelled Barnes Trail. Bumping into celebs - Dan Snow and his grandfather walking in the opposite direction. A short section of the Thames Path and than back past the wetlands centre, where I am delivered to the pubs.

Barnes Common
Barnes Common
Thames Path
Short Section of the Thames Path

First up is the Fullers House - The Red Lion.  Packed to the rafters inside with family diners. Despite the large garden, with pod shelters, I decided that I had been in enough Red Lions this weekend. This was the 3rd.

Red Lion, Barnes
An ESB Shunned

Opposite the Duck Pond is the Sun Inn.... aged, venerable and I meet the same fete. No space inside, but the sun is shining and I can't pass by two, for I will be saddled with a fussy reputation. Northern Monk Eternal Session IPA tasting and looking like squash in the sunshine.

Sun Inn, Barnes
Handsome Pub - The Sun
Sun Inn, Barnes
Northern Monk Catching the Daylight

Indoors success at the former coaching house aptly named the Coach and Horses. All tables are reserved at particular times in the near future - so I couldn't settle in for my Sunday lunch. A shames, as I could have set a new European and Commonwealth record as the most expensive Sunday lunch ever purchased.  

£19.

Seemed popular enough though.

Coach and Horses, Barnes
Coach and Horses - Exterior
Coach and Horses, Barnes
Coach and Horses - Interior

I'd not visited Barnes before, but I am sure those that have will know the best pub is coming up.

What a joy the Watermans Arms is.   A very impressive range of Cask and Keg.  A distinctively beautiful pub inside and out. Check out the 1st floor balcony, which is certainly where I will be aiming for on my next visit.  Excellent service and a more reasonably priced lunch.

A real cracker - and although I know the beer would have been excellent in the Red Lion, I'd certainly swap the two over in the Good Beer Guide.

Watermans Arms, Barnes
Lovely inside.....
Watermans Arms, Barnes
..... and out

The Bulls head adjacent, but no time. The once an hour train to Waterloo is about to depart.

Back to Barnes Bridge Station
Heading into the Sunset after a successful visit


No comments:

Post a Comment