Saturday 22 January 2022

22/01/22 - A Wolverhampton Ring - Stage 2 - Bushbury to Compton

Distance - 6 Miles

Geocaches - 1

Pubs - 4 - Good Beer Guide Ticks #643-646

Previous Stage


Oh the irony!  My plan was to get back on the Heart of Wales Line walk - but a travel check revealed that there were rail replacement services from Llandrindod Wells. 

Not wishing to make things more complex than they need to be, I head back on the rails for the next stage of the Wolverhampton Ring.  Where the journey home - 19 miles - takes 3.5hours on Public transport due to a signalling failure that wipes out all Kidderminster bound trains for 24 hours.

England is starting to appear a little 3rd world.

I do manage to get to Bushbury - North Wolverhampton - with just the 1hour delay.  An 11am start meaning that all planned pubs will be open by the time I reach them.

This stretch is more urban than stage 1. A couple of miles of housing estates until I reach the Staffordshire/Worcestershire canal.

Staffordshire/Worcestershire Canal
Crossing the Canal

This canal wins the prize for having the most distant tow path, as I work my way south to Autherley Junction.  More housing estates and the OS Map markers have detailed in their historical font a dovecote.  At ground zero, it's not so easy to determine what they are on about.

Dovecote
GPS Arrow Bang on the first "e" of "Dovecote"

There is a C17th round brick building, if you look hard enough.  I wasn't hanging around to take more photos.

A golf course and the delightful village feel of Stockwell End and I pick up the Smestow Valley Nature Reserve.  A choice between canal or railway line walking can be made.  Or a bit of both, if you cross the very American looking rail bridge.

Smestow Valley Country Park
Smestow Valley Walk

6 miles and I'm at Compton.  I can't help but think I will regret bailing out on the walk at this point, but there is much Good Beer Guide Ticking to complete.

The Swan, Bridgnorth Road, Compton - Wainwright

Swan Compton
1780 Coaching House

Firstly, I am initially surprised that Marstons ever trouble the Good Beer Guide.  Banks Amber, Wainwright and Sunbeam - the choice here - are hardly setting the beer world on fire.  Places like this will make me re-consider.  I don't think I have ever had such a good Wainwright.

Swan Compton
Was that a pint?  There was no Pedigree

Certainly a bar for banter.  I am joined in my corner alcove by a former sailor and a man that pays £68 every 6 weeks to have his cockapoo groomed.

I just have to keep my wits about me as to what I reveal about myself.

Swan, Compton
Deep in Bandit Country

Chindit, Merridale Road, Wye Valley HPA

With not a single person in the front bar, the lights off, I thought the pub was closed.

Chindit, Wolverhampton
Door ajar, a sign of life

There is a lounge to the back.  Four people inside and from the conversations, I think 3 lived here.  Difficult to review when it felt like I had burst into someones living room and demanded refreshments at the swoosh of my plastic.

Royal Oak, Newton Street, Marstons Sunbeam

Royal Oak, Wolverhampton
The Royal Oak

Another locals pub, but unlike the Chindit, packed.  I think a football team were in for post training recovery.

I'd noticed that everyone in the Swan was drinking Sunbeam - so gave this a first try.  Again, local CAMRA had got it right.  It was in perfect condition.

Combermere Arms, Chapel Ash, Timothy Taylor Landlord

The final place actually took some finding - and I don't think I can wholly blame it on being 3 pints in.

Its on a main road.  Google maps was telling me I was right in front of it.  It looks more house than pub.

Combermere Arms, Wolverhampton
Clue available, side on.  Grade II listed

The landlord looks at me like I am a bit of mentalist when I mention this to him at the small bar in the front room.  Two other tiny rooms to explore and to avoid eavesdropping, I head to the back room for splendid isolation.

Then I can look at horror with what I have been served.  I am a veteran of 57 Landlord Untappd Checkins and I've not had one looking like this before.

Combermere Arms, Wolverhampton
Not so sure.

It did taste OK, otherwise I would have enhanced my nutter reputation by trying to get it changed.

Instead, there is a conversation starter in the gents.  

Combermere Arms, Wolverhampton
A still sprouting tree

A unique feature?  A direct twitter quiz message to @NHS_Martin and he came back with the answer before I had finished battling the Landlord.


2 comments:

  1. Proper Wolves country there!! I expect your Baggies allegiance was kept under wraps... Not been to any of those but they could all be termed 'proper' pubs by the look if it...is the Wolves training ground still in Compton or has it long since changed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Head down.... didn't want to ask any questions about the Wolves training ground!

    ReplyDelete