Saturday 27 August 2022

27/08/22 - Centenary Way - Stage 12 - Bubbenhall

Distance - 10 Miles

Geocaches - 3

Pub - The Malt Shovel, Bubbenhall

Previous Stages - Stage 1Stage 2Stage 3Stage 4Stage 5Stage 6Stage 7Stage 8Stage 9Stage 10, Stage 11


Just as I thought I would have something positive to say about the Centenary Way, HS2 raises it's ugly head.

And not for the first time HS2 has caused me consternation. I still haven't forgiven it for bulldozing one of my favoutite London Pubs, and home of my first ever Titanic Plum Porter, Euston's Bree Louise.  One of a handful of pubs where you needed to visit the gents in order to avoid the smell of the gents.

Today's leg of the Centenary Way starts delightfully. The pretty village of Bubbenhall, with one functioning pub and another about to rise phoenix-like from the ashes of closure. A charming church and some decent lavender filled countryside with good paths.

Bubbenhall Church
Bubbenhall Church
Lavender Fields
Walking through the Lavender Fiels

My suspicions around railway influenced diversions are raised as I approach Cubbington.  Fencing, and miles of it, first gently forces me off the Right of Way and then leaves me an impossible crossing, as I try and get to South Cubbington Wood.

The details may have been in the multi language manual, but who RTFMs these days?  The southern loop could have been avoided, as I hunted for a way to get back on track.

HS2
A simple "footpath closed" at the head of the trail would suffice

HS2
What do you get for £100bn?  Angry ramblers.  

I need a pint.

I rather liked the Malt Shovel, a much altered C17th Grade II listed former Malt House.  A faded Ansells signs and a bolted on chimney to a much older half timbered cottage.

Malt Shovel, Bubbenhall
Faded Ansells Signage

Malt Shovel, Bubbenhall
A chimney bolted on for the Maltings?

A smattering of lunchtime dining pensioners all on the Worthingtons keg.  A risk I wasnt prepared to take, as I made my way for the last of the Summer outdoor drinking.

Winter is coming.

Staropramen at the Malt Shovel, Bubbenhall
Staropramen

No comments:

Post a Comment