Saturday 22 April 2023

22/04/23 - The Good Beer Guide Pubs near Dale Street, Liverpool

 You can't truly know a City until you know its pubs


Much work to do in Liverpool. A City that I have only dipped a toe into, having previously found the classics of the Baltic Fleet, Philharmonic, Roscoe Head and Doctor Duncans.

The temptation, when faced with page after page of unticked pubs in the GBG, is to bite off more than you can chew. Both from quantity of pubs to visit and distance between them. A compromise (of sorts) is made by sticking to the half dozen around Dale Street. Four hours to kill before my 5.27pm from Lime Street.  Will I make it to the other side?

A narrow side street takes me to Denbigh Castle. Good news - I hoped to sample wares from Neptune Brewery and one of the 5 casks was theirs. Bad news - it had just gone. Oakham Citra a steady alternative.

Denbigh Castle, Liverpool
Next door to Ye Hole in Ye Wall (love the double Ye's)

Football screens on high, with slightly out of sync sound pumped at excessive volume from Bose speakers. It didn't make for the greatest experience but their commitment to cask was obvious. Tasting evenings hosted by Neptune founders. Tables reserved for 17 members of a beer tasting club. Next time in the area, I will try Liverpools oldest pub next door.

Next, a glorious looking Grade II listed former coaching house and wine and spirit dealer. Thomas Rigby's looks the part, both inside and out.

Thomas Rigby's Liverpool
Thomas Rigby's
Side Dining Room, Thomas RIgby's Liverpool
An internal wood paneled dining room.

Plenty of exploring to do - which took me to an outside courtyard - shared with their sister pub - The Lady Of Mann. Funny how one makes the guide and the other doesn't but I suppose they can be classed as Siamese twins.  

Tap for the Okells brewery but after consulting an interesting beer board, complete with sliding "in/out" indicators, I boringly went for my go to beer. Timothy Taylor Landlord.

The Lion was easily the pick of the day. Liverpool's answer to Manchester's Pev? So many things that I admire. Multi roomed, gorgeous furnishings, etched windows, tiling, beautiful bar back, friendly punters, pork pie cabinet, free jukebox with quality tunes at a pleasant level.

My future go-to pub in Liverpool. Excuse the photo love in

Lion, Liverpool
Named after locomotive, not the animal

Lion, Liverpool
Bar from the back room
Lion, Liverpool
Bar Hanging fans had left for Anfield (at 2:35pm for a 3pm KO)

Lion, Liverpool
Lunch (Starter)

Last photo reminds me to mention the drinks.You can see the pin sharp Peerless Brewery Seven Streets IPA but I need to mention the whisky. The only place I can think of with a bigger collection of Irish Whiskey is Belfast's Duke of York. I'll be sure to avail myself of either/all of the £10, £15 and £20 tasting flights on next visit.

I can't blame unsampled Irish Whiskey for thinking I was in Ireland at the Vernon Arms. It was the racing - from Newbury - but every accent interviewed was from the Emerald Isle. £5 minimum card purchase was not enough to cover an Ossett White Rat until I added two packets of peanuts.

A shabby un-chic boozer, every table taken by friends meeting up, tired shoppers and presumably, racing fans.

Vernon Arms, Liverpool
That's why the floor seemed to be sloping

Final two of the half dozen are next door to each other and getting me closer to my carriage away.

The Excelsior left a lasting memory but only through the friendly staff and carb heavy menu. Eating may be cheating, but I need something substantial and I've been wanting to try Mac N Cheese for some time. Mrs M - and my Doctor - found it surprising that it came on a bed of chips. I should have a) read the menu better and b) waited till the Ship and Mitre.

Excelsior, Liverpool
First of a pair of Nautical Good Beer Guide Ticks

The Ship and Mitre has a pop up restaurant offering traditional local food. If I wasn't full of pasta, cheese and chips, peanuts, pork pie and five pints, it would have been a battle royale between the Scouse or the intriguingly named but giving little away "Beef Dinner".

Certainly one to come back to - to take advantage of its food and equally significant Belgian and German beer menu.

Ship and Mitre, Liverpool
The One Pan Band Catering Company - Ossett Silver King

Ship and Mitre, Liverpool
An Artists Impression - I was in a rush, waddling for the Train

6 pub crawl - all around a single street.

Find me a City with a higher concentration of Good Beer Guide Pubs?

4 comments:

  1. My favourite part of my favourite city. Definitely give the Hole in the Wall a go next time, the Railway next to the Lion is also worth a look and has very reasonably priced food

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great stuff. Photo love in at the Lion excused! Good to see it so busy after a few troubled years. Pin sharp a good description of that beer.

    The Lion and the White Star are my two recommended pool pubs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Martin. It was a fine afternoon and a City I'm looking fwd to investigating more.

    ReplyDelete