Saturday 8 July 2023

08/07/23 - Liverpool - Views old and new

 Spectacular views and old pubs in the City Centre


These are not my words, but the heading from my guide book. I have an afternoon to tick off Good Beer Guide pubs, so sometimes its nice to let someone else do the recommending. Rest assured, I would not have found these two pubs if it wasn't for the walk author.

The theme of this walk is to gain access on high for spectacular views of the City Centre. Like all good plans, it fails first contact with the enemy.

The lifts are broken in Mount Pleasant Multi Story car park. The promised view may have been spectacular but only if you can be bothered to climb up five levels. I cannot. There is always google.

The second vantage point is from St John's Beacon or Radio City Tower, as it's possibly better known. This is a paid for tourist attraction so it seems best to save this for when I have company. 

St Johns Beacon, Liverpool
£7.50 remaining in the beer kitty

The rest of the walk takes me through shopping centres and down to the docks.  Slowly, I am starting to piece the city together.

Liverpool Waterfront
Down by the Docks
From here, all the World's Futures
"All the Worlds Futures" on the brick built pimping house

Geocaching always spices up a walk. I learn about the tomb of William McKenzie.

William McKenzie's Tomb
Mappiman's "Believe it or Not"

The Myth would have you believe that Mackenzie, asked to be entombed above ground, inside this pyramid, sitting upright at a table, clutching a winning hand of cards. The yarn insists that as an inveterate gambler, he bet and lost his soul in a game of poker with the Devil and figured that if he was never buried, Satan could never claim his prize.



So the pubs recommended in the guide;

Somehow, the Carnarvon Castle in Tarleton Street survives, sitting as it does in the shopping district and almost swallowed up by huge shops on either side.

Carnarvon Castle, Liverpool
Survivor

It is the scene of an 1894 suicide, when Charles Wood walked in, ordered a drink which he took to the back room and then shot himself in the head. No note or explanation. He may have had a Timothy Taylor Boltmaker that was as bad as mine. This is an earthy pub and I was a little concerned about playing my face but honestly, I wouldn't have even poured it on chips.

To be fair, it was swapped with an apology, the pump clip rotated and there was nothing wrong with the substitute Courage Directors.

Carnarvon Castle, Liverpool
The day's drinking begins

A wonderful vibe generated by proper scousers, mainly elderly, all taking advantage of an extensive breakfast menu.  No end of toasties and Full English options and my only mistake was not joining in.

I rather like Al's review from Pubsgalore - although he is wrong. I managed to find it.

A nice little pub thankfully overlooked by the pissheads. A thin, narrow pub so can be belly to belly when busy.

Onwards to The Beehive on Mount Pleasant.

No cask, so I played safe with a Guinness. A couple of days later, I check my on line banking.  £2.35.

I think I owe them money.

The Beehive, Liverpool
Look up in the Beehive

Walk Details

Distance - 4 Miles

Geocaches - 2xALC, 1xVirtual and 7xTraditional

Walk Inspiration - Liverpool A-Z City Walks, Walk 3

Previous Liverpool A-Z City Walks - Walks 1 and 2





No comments:

Post a Comment