Thursday 25 July 2024

25/07/24 - The Two Tiny Pubs of Portland Street, Manchester

Smallest Bar in Europe


Thursday afternoon seems to be a good time to tick a couple from the "other" book.

The Circus Tavern should be open at 2pm, but is all closed up. I am not the only beer tourist hanging around on the street looking disgruntled and checking phones. But I am the one with stamina. My potential new friend disappears away, whilst I pop next door to consider my options.

The Grey Horse is no giant of a pub itself. A Hydes house, with the full range. Keeping the lunchtime theme going, I was forced to stay for two Lowrys.  Absolutely bang on condition.

The Grey Horse, Manchester
The Grey Horse
The Grey Horse, Manchester
Handsome inside

The space pictured above did not take long to fill up. A group of three crawlers and some loud chat about Manchester Bands gone by. If I told you most of the conversation was about the New Fast Automatic Daffodils, would you believe me? 

They move on, which gives me hope that my original target is open.

And yes, the Circus Tavern has its door ajar. Let the fun commence. 

Circus Tavern, Manchester
In we go....

I instantly meet the tiny bar and yes, Tetley is on cask. There are two rooms, with the landlord marshaling who will sit where, whilst a barman deals with the drinks. I know he is the landlord, as the place is covered in photos of the chap with various sportsmen. He loves Man United and boxing.

Circus Tavern, Manchester
Fear not, it was topped up.

I was shown to rear room, sandwiched in next to a couple of eastern Europeans and the three experts on the nineties indie scene from earlier.

Table service for the next pint.

Of course, you risk everything if you need to use the surprisingly large facilities.

My table taken by the time I returned to collect my stuff - but it wasn't an issue. I'm on a booked train back to the West Midlands.

I'm not sure I would attempt on a weekend - but somewhere rather special for illicit mid week boozing.


3 comments:

  1. Great read, love a concise blogpost ! You got better pics than I did last month, when (City supporter) was forced to sit in the United room.

    Good Holt bitter in the Old Monkey almost next door, too, though that's a bit plain compared to Hyde's Grey Horse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiny pubs, Tiny Blog! Manchester has two "three in a row streets". Not sure I can think of another City with 1, but I bet you can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and lovely pubs. Pics look very inviting……must visit.

    ReplyDelete