Saturday 24 October 2020

24/10/20 - Pilgrimage to Tripel B's, Worcester

Distance - 10.5 Miles

Start - Walk Inspiration

Geocaches - 2


Maybe the British Pilgrimage Trust (BPT) had different destinations in mind, but I can't help but feel that I have stumbled on a fantastic new walking resource.

As well as some fantastic multi day, long distance paths - they have a series of day pilgrimages to British Cathedrals.  Worcester has four to attempt, a lengthy 21 miler from Evesham to more sedates ones from Droitwich, Malvern and Upton on Severn.

And you can take your pick on the where to arrive. The BPT will try and seduce you with glorious interior shots of a building started in 1084 or I can offer you a little piece of the Continent, in a time when you have to use your imagination if you want to travel.

The walk itself is a little monotonous. Its 50% walking along the Droitwich Canal, 50% along the River Severn and 100% easy to navigate.

Droitwich Canal
Droitwich Canal in Autumn
Salwarpe Church
Salwarpe Church for a Multi Stage Geocache
New Fish Run at Bevere Weir
New Fish Filter Lane at Bevere Weir
One Potential Destination
Rains come in - as one of the Prizes is in Sight.

Of course, if you haven't been to the Cathedral - you should visit at least once. But with the rain driving in, I seek refuge in Copenhagen Street and one of the newer Micros Pubs on the Worcester Scene - Tripel Bs.

Another Potential Destination - Tripel Bs
A little piece of Belgium in Worcester

This wonderful oasis of calm opened on in 2009 - promising an authentic and laid back cafe culture experience that I think Tony Blair was after when the potential for 24hr drinking was introduced.

This is my third visit and first since the crisis. I was delighted to see it thriving and long may it continue.  Its going to take me many visits to make a dent on the extensive menu of draft Vedetts and Duvals and 100s of bottled beers. The mind boggles at how much glassware they must carry - as each is served in the correct ceremonial chalice.

And a third menu takes you to a food menu with Belgian delicacies, which includes a cone of frites with home made mayo. I needed something to absorb my first ever Straffe Hendrick bottle, after a draft Duvel.

Composite Booze Photo
Behold, a composite image of beer beauty

On being dropped off at Droitwich Station - Mrs M asked my why I needed to take my big rucksack on a day walk.  I set off walking with "you better not be buying more beer" ringing in my ears.

She better not go looking on top of the garage fridge.

2 comments:

  1. Always a great hiding place!!! That reminds me I need to visit Worcester again as it's been way too long

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favourite places! Springing up everywhere now - we have a similar place in Kidderminster (Beer Emporium) and a Bottle Shop is opening in Stourport this week.

      No more Banks for the Midlanders... it's monk-juice all round.

      Delete