Saturday 31 October 2020

31/10/20 - The Last of the Good Beer Guide Ticking in Chipping Norton

Things hadn't got quite as bad as the Weekend Section in the Times implied.

Times
I only had 24 Hours

24 Hours in Chipping Norton.  I am sure that I could have spent the time in a more productive way to spend my time than walking 16 miles in a storm.

For instance, I could have been making progress with the new Good Beer Guide.  It plonked on my doormat on the 29th October and by the 31st, Boris had threatened to interfere with the broadcasting of Strictly to announce that pubs are dead.

Changing of the Guard
I shouldn't have cross ticked.  A pristine bible will be worth more to future museums 

Oxfordshire CAMRA seem quite fair in their allocation, alternating entries between the Chequers, the Fox, Bitter and Twisted and the Crown and Cushion on an annual basis.  I was thinking of visiting all four.  This proved a logistical nightmare of begging with the masked "Covid Keepers of the tables" that I gave up on two.

The Chequers is the current entry - and a Fullers House from 1794 seemed a good place to start.

If you are going to go into 2nd Lockdown, it might as well be with the taste of ESB on your lips.

Chequers, Chipping Norton
I am going to miss both you, and your brothers

Mask up, burst through the door, answer in negative that I haven't booked and I manage to secure a table for 60 minutes before those with foresight turn up.

I like a challenge and the challenge was to sit by the fire and see how many ESBs I could demolish before being forcibly ejected for crimes against planning.

Chequers, Chipping Norton
My Sort of Bar (without the face masks)

If you hang around long enough, the circumstances will change.  Having negotiated my seat, I attempted to negotiate my tea.  Initial attempts failed with me being told "If you haven't booked, the Chef won't be able to fit in cooking you a meal".  Not sure of the logic there but when another, friendlier server offered me a new unreserved seat (presumably having seen I was a model customer, solo but drinking for three), he did supply me with a menu on request.

I would have enjoyed my steak far more without the glares over the top of a Bane facemask from Server 1.

This time next week, they will have to remind themselves what customers are.

Fox Chipping Norton
The Fox from afar

Onto the Fox, which looked busy - with masked up parties spilling out and into taxis.  Lord alone knows where they were heading?  Chadlington?  Church Enstone?  Where is the action in this part of the Cotswolds if it's not Chipping Norton?

A long wait at the door next to the sign that says "Wait Here".  No room at the Inn but they do have a wonderful beer garden with sectioned off booths.  There's no stopping me for I am in my big coat.

The booth next to me huddle around a phone to see Boris's Bumbling.  Here we go again.  4 weeks in Lockdown.  I'm sure they said that in March.

Before the pubs reopened in July.

Subtle changes.  Those pubs that want to do takeaways, can't do takeaway beer.

Do they actually think about the impact of their words?

Who knows where next weeks blog will come from?  I am allowed out for exercise and short journeys in a car.  No definition of what short means.

Don't Americans drive for 2 hours for a burger?

I have a feeling I am going to arguing this point in the bleak midwinter.

Just before I get tasered.

Fox, Chipping Norton
Old Hooky - As Bad News Arrives 




2 comments:

  1. However many days we are into lockdown that pint looks mighty fine!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to try and recreate the experience by taking my own bottle and finding a park bench. Who would have thought Tramps were trend setters?

    ReplyDelete