Friday 16 October 2020

16/10/20 - Harrogate to Knaresborough along the Nidd Gorge

Distance - 5.5 Miles

Geocaches - 5 and a Lab Cache

Walk Inspiration - CAMRA Pub Walks in Yorkshire 


This is a walk in honour of Bob Steel, author of many of the CAMRA Pub Walks Books.  I've completed many of his walks in London and Edinburgh and found him most engaging on Twitter, as I shared routes of his I had completed.  It was on Twitter, I found out that he passed about 2 weeks ago, when I was planning this walk. 

RIP Bob.

I've saved this one for the last day of our Yorkshire jaunt.  It has all the attributes that I love in a walk.  Linear, with a return on public transport.  Arriving at a historically interesting new town with plenty to discover.  Good Beer Guide recommended pubs.

And we can start from our (AirBnB) front door.

It only takes a short bimble through a housing estate before we pick up the Nidd Gorge.  Guide dog in training Abi is delighted.  She has 5 miles of free running/swimming on the fast flowing, yet mainly shallow River Nidd.  We won't hear a peep out of her for the rest of the evening.

Nidd Gorge
Nidd Gorge Info and more or less our route

Disused Railway Viaduct
Harrogate Disused Viaduct

You mean I can play in the Nidd whenever I want?
You mean I get to swim as often as I want in the River Nidd?

A midday arrival into Knaresborough and we mix things up seeing the sights by finding the 5 stage Adventure Lab Cache and visiting any of the Good Beer Guide Pubs that happen to be open on Friday Lunchtime.

Mother Shiptons Cave
Knaresborough's most famous attraction
Knaresborough Castle
Knaresborough Castle
Knaresborough Working Viaduct
The View from a Lab Cache Location
Onto the Pubs.

Six Poor Folk - Jaipur

Former C15th Almhouse, this is now a little bit micro, along with some outside seating - where you can overhear why people really need to buy a flat cap from the milliners opposite.  Rest assured, no one can carry off it as well as Idris Elba.  Otherwise I would have bought one.

I started the week off with what I thought was a dodgy pint of Jaipur.  Glad to say that I was proved correct, as the pint served here was so good, Mrs M suggested we stay for another.

Six Poor Folk.  Well, one and a dog
One poor folk, one poor dog, a cider and an exceptional Jaipur

Blind Jacks, Black Sheep

Just around the corner - and with the windows open, you can be serenaded by the busker.  No "Wonderwall" here - its operatic arias.  Mrs M recognised "One Cornetto".

Small but perfectly formed pub that in these strange times, had the advantage of a printed menu for all things cask and keg.  Alas, bottles were too numerous to be added and as the beer mats were branded St Feuillien, I cannot help but think I missed out on a Friday lunchtime knee trembler.

Blind Jacks and Black Sheep
Black Sheep's new Glassware
Blind Jacks
Good Beer, Good Times

The Mitre, Timothy Taylor Boltmaker

The trains back to Harrogate are every 30 minutes, but it doesn't matter what time you time your departure, there will be the chance for just one more.

This could not be any more convenient for the station.  With the Harrogate Tap at the other end, there's no reason to stop the party then either.

A little bit soulless inside - with identikit pub furniture - the visit was saved by good service, food and beer.   

Boltmaker IS my pint of the week in Yorkshire.  Sorry Theakstons - it was close.

The Mitre and the way home
Knaresborough's Waiting Room - The Mitre


No comments:

Post a Comment