Wednesday 14 October 2020

14/10/20 - The Crown at Pateley Bridge

Distance - 6 miles

Geocaches - 0

Walk Inspiration - Country Walking Magazine October 2015


I could either describe today's adventure as simple or classic.  I'll go with classic.

A classic walk - following the River Nidd downstream to Low Laithe, where there is a wild climb along the banks of Fell Back.

River Nidd
Pateley Bridge Crosses the Nidd
Pool near Glasshouses
Man Made Pool near Glasshouses
Wilder Walking along Fell Beck
Wilder Walking up Fell Beck

There is the chance of a 2-4 mile diversion to look at Brigham Rocks.  There's a few things of interest - the only Geocaches on route.  Those wind moulded boulders in odd shapes that you typically get in the Peak District.  Prehistoric art-work marked on the OS Map as "Cup and Ring marked Rock".

Normally, I would not be one to miss out on such interest to bring to the attention of my blogfans.  However, two things have transpired to make this a no-go today.

Despite a 25% chance of rain, this - as I have discovered - is Yorkshire. It's hammering it down and the break to the rocks requires leaving the comparative dryness of a wooded copse and making a dash across open moorland. This, I could have potentially coped with if I hadn't have had my second worse fall in a long walking career spanning 17 years. One slimey rock in the grass, a misplaced Scarpa and I am going to black and blue all along my shin tomorrow morning. No one heard the scream as I used a holly bush to break my tumble with my face.

So I hobble back, hoping to find the Nidderdale Way at White Houses - only to met with another challenge.  I cannot wait to get back to Worcestershire to review my Country Walking Guide - as there is no footbridge to cross Fell Beck - which is more than just a trickle after three days of rain.

But the God of walking always provides an alternative.

How to cross Fell Beck
I can't wait to see if CW described this in the instructions

The way back to the village is on the high side of the valley and the views are classic Yorkshire.  Lush greens under brooding grey skies, high ground on the other side of the valley, a patch work quilt of fields with the odd tumbledown abandoned farm building.

Even a one legged man, picking spikey leaves out of his fizzog enjoyed it.

Glorious Views on the Nidderdale Way
Yorkshire Classic

Soon back in the Pateley Bridge where entertainment options are either finding the World's oldest sweet shop or the pub.

The Crown Pateley Bridge
I based my decision on my fillings

The Crown is a plainly classic Yorkshire boozer, hosted in a 1767 building.  No fuss and the sort of place that you know will have a pie on the menu.

In a war that has been raging all week - Timothy Taylor Boltmaker ran out victorious against Theakstons Best.

Perfect walk and Pie and Pint combo of a day.


No comments:

Post a Comment