Wednesday 14 October 2020

W/B 10/10/20 - Harrogate Good Beer Guide Ticking

Strange times for the pub ticker.  Reality brought home as the walk from my AirBnB passes Yorkshire's Nightingale hospital.  I started a careful investigation of Harrogate's pubs scene on the Saturday - getting my first non booking refusals - and continued at more quiet times over the next few days.  Always taking the advice delivered succinctly by Major Tom's.

Major Tom's, Harrogate
Hands - Space - Face

The Old Bell, Timothy Taylor Landlord

This was my first port of call on a Saturday night and the first time there has been no room at the inn for me anywhere in the land.  No room available at any time this weekend.  Instead, a Tuesday night visit gained access without issue - but sitting there blogging my Masham experience - I could hear others being refused entry.

Old Bell, Harrogate
Old Bell

It's the closest I found to a traditional pub experience in Harrogate but even is this is deceptively young.  Rebuilt on the site of the Blue Bell in 1999.

Well looked after - both me and the TT landlord - as I finished up blogging and gazed through the window at a rainy Tuesday in town.

Old Bell, Harrogate
Pub Views

Coach and Horses - Dead

Saturday was turning into a farce - I had been also been turned away from Major Tom's Social and Adventure Lab Caching took me to the furthest outlier pub - the Coach and Horses.

Coach and Horses, Harrogate
Hello Darkness, My Old Friend

The nearby Tap at Tower Street told me that it had been a forced closure as they had recently broken the rules of six.  Plastered on the doors was a notice for re-application of a liquor licence.

Starling Independent Cafe Bar - Norther Monk Faith

Starling Independent, Harrogate
Cafe Culture

Not sure exactly what this is.  Too big to be a micro.  Too beery to be a Cafe.  Importantly, it was open and had space for me to sit in the steamed window on the first floor.  A long way from the pizza loving and sweary students.

I embraced the craft experience with a murky Northern Monk Keg.  It was like there was a party in my mouth.

Starling Independent, Harrogate
The C Bomb Droppers offering nothing to the ambiance

The Little Ale House - Vocation Bread and Butter

Saturday night started with a wimper but ended with success..... not that I was 100% convinced I should be entering any premises with "Little" in the title.

Not easy to find.  I went around streets with Cheltenham in the name several times before realising its underneath the Indian restaurant, where I was forced to ask a smoking diner if he knew where it was.  Pointing directly in front of him, I was reminded of the time I caught a 20 yard Taxi to Edinburgh's Oxford Bar, when I had lost my bearings there.

The Litte Ale House, Harrogate
It has white frontage on Google Maps

It transpired that I had nothing to fear from somewhere so little.  Not only did this have a garden - it also had patio heaters.  The beer was excellent and the service was exceptional.  

Mrs M is joining me mid week.  I hope to persuade her to revisit.

Harrogate Tap - Timothy Taylor Landlord

One for the rail travellers - as they have converted some former railway buildings outside the main station.  I popped in on my way back from York.   Not too much to say really - long bar, plenty of space and those table/seat combinations that somehow reminded me of a less sticky Wetherspoons.

Would I go back?

Well, I am thinking of getting the Train back from Knaresborough.

Harrogate Tap
All in lights

Major Tom's Social - Chimmay Blue

Major Tom's, Harrogate
Yorkshire Youth Club

In true pub ticking reportage style, I'll leave the best to last.  I didn't know quite what to expect from a "Youth Club for Grown Ups" but that description more or less nails it.

High ceilings and loads of space - they even had the added protection of perspex-ing off the tables.  Drinks are ordered from a QR Scanned Web Site that lists their full compliment of casks (2), kegs (several), bottles (many) and whiskies (unusual).  Payment on line too - so you just login, read the descriptions, place your order and sit back and hope that it has all gone through.  

Of course it had...  with friendly delivery service that made the whole experience a joy.  I wonder if we will ever go back to jostling for space at busy bars and getting into fights by answering "Who's Next" with misplaced assertiveness?

Major Tom's, Harrogate
Food Pairing - Belgian Style

Nice vibe, with other youths playing board games and some decent music at a good volume.  

Time to sit back and relax and ponder whether Yorkshire ever forgives or ever forgets.

Major Tom's, Harrogate
I mean, to go to all that trouble....


Footnote:  Eagle eyed boozehounds will notice that I didn't blog on the Blues Cafe Bar.   The queue was 10 deep on Saturday and even I have levels of risk I am prepared to entertain.

Plus it was raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment