Monday 5 August 2024

05/08/24 - Worcester Foregate Street to Malvern

Pilgrimage to the Best Pub in the Land

Second Rail Trail on the Malvern to Cotswold Line. It didn't take me long to slightly modify the itinerary. There is no way I am walking past the Nag's Head.

Familiar paths down the Western side of the Severn. A chance to join the Worcester Waddle - a treasure hunt in aid of St Richards Hospice where you tick off penguins.

Penguin Waddle, Worcester
Penguin Number 2

Its gets remote after Diglis footbridge, where I am rather surprised to meet my first humans of the day. I expected fellow ramblers, I found two uniform clad Policemen, picking their way along the edge of the crop fields. I express my surprise and ask if it is safe to continue. The reply? "You are perfectly safe to proceed, Sir". They were there for the Politeness in Policing course but maybe missed the comedy workshop.

They could have added value by telling me the ancient Powick bridge was long term closed. 2024 flooding taking it down for an unspecified duration. No diversion signs on the ground, although if I had bothered to read the Rail Trail web site, they had completed updates. It won't be my actual walked GPX file I will be uploading, as I try to escapte the horrors of Powick Hams.

At least I can learn about English Civil War history.

Civil Way Notice Board
I'd have given my kingdom for a Bridge of Boats

Head South through Callow End and the Old Hills, where some delightful walking on the Three Choirs Way through Madresfield Park always has the prize in sight.

Three Choirs Way
Three Choirs Way Marker, with the Malverns in the distance

Onto the Nag's Head.... three reasons for my continual recommendations.... Location, Location, Location at the foot of the North Hills. On Sundays, they serve a beef sandwich, with a side of roast potatoes. And on every day of the week, they have a beer menu to die for.

Nags Head. Malvern
Nags Head and North Hill

I don't think I have been anywhere that has such a combination of Cask (Bathams, Landlord, Old Hooky usually on), the latest and ever changing craft keg menu, continental bottles and traditional ciders.

Nags Head Malvern, Beer Menu
All with a drinks menu
Nags Head. Malvern
An unusual first choice - £5.20

The real surprise of the day was improving the 90 minute wait for my connecting bus home in the JDW back at Worcester.

Why had no-one told me about the Monday Beer Club before? £1.99 for Redemption Big Chief. I'd have been saving money by stopping still.

Walk Details

Distance - 11 Miles

Geocaches - 3



No comments:

Post a Comment