Friday 23 August 2024

23/08/24 - Greater Manchester Ringway - Stage 11

GM Ringway Brewery Adoption

All my long distance paths eventually adopt a brewery. I kept finding Rebellion on the Chiltern Chain Walk. Purity became the de-facto pint on the Millennium Way

For the Greater Manchester Ringway, it will have to be Brid's Cross.

A few social media interactions have recommended the best pubs in Rochdale. A comment on the last leg mentioned that I missed out at the Red Lion, where there is a permanent line. Today, through a little bit of serendipity, I stalk their entire vehicle fleet and gatecrash their 1st Birthday Party.

Its as if Storm Lillian wanted me to make their acquaintance. A change of travel plans, as trees on lines broke the rail network. 

This wasn't going to stop me from getting to Littleborough, where I had completed research to show the canal route out to the hills was blocked. Going through town allowed a lunch purchase at the bakery.

Today's route is similar to last couple - Geocache laden moorland, the Pennine Way and a couple of reservoirs. Watergrove at the start and Greenbooth at the end.

Wonderful, but samey walking. The Manchester skyline in view for long periods.

Pennine Way, with GM Ringway Marker
Long Sections of the Pennine Way
Greater Manchester Ringway Stage 11
Manchester in the distance
Under the Wind Farms
Storm Lillian blows herself out

A navigational mistake at Healey Dell, where I should have been down on the valley floor, rather than on precipitous cliff paths above. But this led to the first indication that I was deep in Brid county. Sat on a bridge rampart, enjoying my very out of region Cornish Pasty, a 4x4 passes by. The spare wheel cover having the brewery logo to remind me what beer to look out for at walk conclusion. Who says that advertising doesn't pay?

Healey Dell, Rochdale
The view I should have had, instead of car spotting

Not content with spotting one vehicle, I make to Broadly Fold and find another. If this is where Sean and Ruth live, you've got a geocache at each end of the road. At the Eastern end, look under a rock between the stumpy lamppost and footpath marker.

Brid's Cross Brewing
I appreciate I am getting close to stalking territory now

A drop down past Greenbooth Reservoir and into Norden, thankful for google maps helping me understand the Bee Bus Network.

I am looking for Baum - a Good Beer Guide 2024 recommendation and right up my Strasse. A shop conversion, that they have made to feel very pubby.

Baum. Rochdale
Baum - Toad Lane Conservation Area

Up to the bar, and I thought this was the regular cask line up. Transpires I had picked the breweries 1st anniversary birthday party tap takeover.

Baum. Rochdale
Love the Art

30 minutes to learn more about the brewery. Each of the beers has a folk story attached. I'm a bit of a folklore fan myself, often linking walks with folk tale locations. My chosen West Coast IPA, Under the Eildon Tree, telling the tale of Thomas the Rhymer.

It is a fine beer, with beautiful and distinctive artwork.

Baum, Rochdale
View from the comfy seats at the Baum

Want to know more about Brid's Cross Brewery?..... in another twist of fate, they are the subject of latest episode (94) on the Beer Prime Podcast. Discount code taken advantage of for export to Worcestershire.

Stage 12 will land me in Bury and I am open for recommendations :-)

Walk Information

Start - Littleborough

Finish - Norden

Previous Stages - Stage 1Stage 2Stage 3Stage 4Stage 5Stage 6Stage 7Stage 8Stage 9, Stage 10

Distance - 12 Miles

Geocaches - 14

Walk Inspiration


No comments:

Post a Comment