Saturday 24 August 2024

24/08/24 - The Altrincham Drinking Scene

The Sunday Times Best Place to Live?


This is a blueprint for the dying high street. Simply re-invigorate a Market Hall, fill it with drinking and dining options and the punters will come flocking. Saturday lunch-time and there is a real buzz to the place. Outdoor tables and chairs fully taken everywhere. 

Everyman, Altrincham
Table Service and Sofas in the Cinema

With two types of guide - Good Beer and knowledgeable would be locals (they are saving up) - we head out on an August Saturday to see what the bars are like. 

Costello's Bar - GBG #976

Costellos Bar, Altrincham
Micro Bar Number 1

I appreciate that the above image conflicts with my earlier "bustling Altrincham" comment but the rain had just started to hammer and it was early.

A showcase for the Dunham Massey Brewery hosted in the Goose Green area of Town. I've walked in the Dunham Massey estate but the beers have eluded me. A Stamford Best Bitter a perfect introduction.

Costellos Bar, Altrincham
You'd expect it to be perfect on its home ground.

The Market

Run by the people who bring you Mackie Mayor in the Northern Quarter. Thankfully, we had Gen Zedders to do the heavy lifting. Ordering three types of meal from phone apps and leaving me to navigate Jack in the Box old-school by walking up to the bar, like some sort of dinosaur.

Market Hall, Altrincham
Bringing punters to the Yard

Black Jack Pub Ale Best Bitter and people watching.

Rustic - GBG #977

The micro pub that didn't impress. 2pm opening time on a Saturday, when Google says midday.

Of course I was the first punter but I didn't really warm to the bar man telling me my Marble Pint had not been pulled through, even if he did offer to change it if I wasn't satisfied. Dirty glass. I'll watch with interest if its in the imminent 2025 or did I catch them on a bad day.

Rustic, Altrincham
The view at 1:58pm

Belgian Bar

Our local guides told of a micro that does exactly what it says on the tin. Confirmation that Kwak is dispensed in the appropriate glass and bemusement when I offered my shoe as a deposit.

A fully continental drinking experience in Greater Manchester.

Belgian Bar, Altincham
Kwakers
The Beacon - GBG #978

Slight confusion between the online GBG website and the book which details this place as PI. Presumably the same owners, as 18 Shaws Road remains recommended.

A fine blueprint for a micro, where a window seat provides street theatre viewing.

Red Willow Feckless in such good condition that we stayed for two.

The Beacon, Altincham
AI representation of a perfect afternoon

I could have stayed for longer - but we had a pop music rendezvous with an artist that I had last seen in the flesh 39 years ago.

There is no need to guess which of us has changed the most.

Johnny Marr has a picture in his attic.

Wythenshaw Park
Just before another Wythensaw Boy, Billy Duffy, came on stage

 

No comments:

Post a Comment