Sunday 4 August 2024

03/08/24 - London Spiral - Stage 15 - Wimbledon to Penge

What the bloody hell did you want to do that for?

Not necessarily the words you want to hear after a lengthy hike through South London. But the regulars of the Craft Union Crooked Billet in Penge had a point.

The pub is the clue for an Adventure Lab Cache (ALC), with a history that belies its rather terrifying looking exterior. There I am am, rucksack adorned and the chief wag says "been on a walk, mate?".  I thought I'd be able to hold my own in the banter stakes but when I said I had walked from Wimbledon, I couldn't get a word in edge-ways. First they joshed, then laughed like drains and then it descended into a fit of coughing that I thought may require medical attention. I used google to get my answer and moved on.

The thing is, they had a point.

Wimbledon was left at 9am and the housing estates and parks of Merton, Mitcham and Norbury was not exactly rambling country. I was questioning my own existence myself.

Looking out from Norbury Hill
Rambling, South London Style

Crystal Palace saved the day. Not many have said that, although I probably screw up both the pub and beer order through a desperation that this might be the best it gets. The Sparrowhawk is a gastro pub, full of ladies who lunch (with prosecco). Two cask on and I had never seen the False Number number, thinking Bury St Edmunds is relatively LocALE. Should have known it would be a Greene King.

The Sparrowhawk, Crystal Palace
Desperate Times/Measures
The Sparrowhawk, Crystal Palace
Gastro Pub

Turn the corner and there are much more interesting looking pubs - the Westow Tap, Royal Albert and even the Westow House Hotel (offering takeaway pints).

But Crystal Palace Park is a joy and and an ALC takes me to all the dinosaurs.

Crystal Palace Dinosaurs
Go on, ask me a question about dinosaurs?

Certainly the highlight of this leg of the London Spiral. And it leads to Penge, where it is all going on. Loud music and the smell of BBQ Chicken, which sounded good for lunch. Seemed to be some sort of religious festival and there is no cult in the world that needs me.

Instead, I looked for my next refreshment spot.

Craft Metropolis, Penge
Craft Metropolis for NEIPA Schooners


Walk Information

Distance - 11 Miles

Start - Wimbledon

Finish - Kent House

Areas Walked - Merton, Mitchem, Norbury, Crystal Palace, Penge

Geocaches - 10 and three Adventure Lab Caches

Pubs - 2

Previous Walks - Stage 1Stage 2Stage 3Stage 4Stage 5Stage 6Stage 7Stage 8Stage 9Stage 10Stage 11Stage 12Stage 13, Stage 14

No comments:

Post a Comment