Penultimate Pleasure
The final two days on the London Spiral act as a metaphor for the whole route. Today, it's lovely countryside walking on great paths. Tomorrow, the grim descent into Gravesend. The route has never been a 100% success but I am not a quitter.
The other good things about these final throes - single digit walking.
From Knockholt station, two pubs are instantly possible but even I feel the drink needs to be earned. The Bo Beep boasting an existence since 1500.
Across fields, with views of the distant London skyscrapers and then a long passage through Lullingstone Park and the castle. Dodging golf balls.
Nestled in the Darent Valley near Eynsford, Kent, Lullingstone Castle is one of England's oldest family estates, with the Hart Dyke family having owned it continuously since the late fifteenth century. Although described as a castle, the present building is principally a Tudor manor house, incorporating elements of an earlier medieval residence whose imposing gatehouse still survives.
![]() |
| There’s London, from the extremes of the Spiral Walk. |
![]() |
| A first glimpse of Lullingstone Castle |
![]() |
| and the gatehouse |
I walked the Darent Way 9 years ago - so the route under Eynsford Viaduct should be familiar. It isn't. I only know that I have visited the picture postcard Lion pub when I try to rescan the Cask Marque QR code. During that 2017 visit, it was Doom Bar for £3.65. Today, it's Harvey's Sussex Best for £6.05. What does that say? Better choice of beer? Inflation has been running at an average of 6% over the last nine years.
And yet the King of the North says it's 2.8%.
I'm off-track and ranting again.
Time is against me with an hourly train from Farningham Road - the walking along the river, under the M20 is pretty and geocache laden.
I made it with one minute to spare, knowing I will be back tomorrow.
If I survive lawless Bromley.
Walk Details
Distance - 9 miles
Start - Knockholt
Finish - Farningham Road
Areas Walked - Lullingstone, Eynsford
Geocaches - 9
Pubs - 1
Previous Walks - Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3, Stage 4, Stage 5, Stage 6, Stage 7, Stage 8, Stage 9, Stage 10, Stage 11, Stage 12, Stage 13, Stage 14, Stage 15, Stage 16, Stage 17, Stage 18, Stage 19, Stage 20, Stage 21, Stage 22, Stage 23, Stage 24







No comments:
Post a Comment