Wednesday 1 June 2011

1/6/11 - Walking the Lizard (The dog wouldn't get out of bed)

Distance - 8 Miles
Caches - 12, I think
Company - Rabbits, magpies and seagulls
Interesting Geological Feature - A Zawn

The Lizard



Here is our cottage from the front....

Well, the annex at the back.
Yesterday's holiday update - morning walk with Sonia.  Then an afternoon in Helston.  A visit to Cornwall's oldest brewery, where the make Spingo beer.  Have 6 pints and you can shout Spouse.  Then home for curry tea and take the whole family for a 3 mile round trip to Kynance Cove so the dog can have a swim.  The cottage now has a perculiar smell of Indian and wet dog, not totally dissimilar to the Indian at home where that person found a dog chip in their meal.

So today's walk.  We were awaken at 5:30am by some seagulls doing the river dance on top of our roof.  I knew I had the big walk ready for today, so I took it as a sign to get up and head out.

The geodog, never even moved.  I think we have done her in.  So this morning, I went out alone.  A solo rambler against the elements with a fistful of caches to find.

I don't think this walk is going to be topped this year.  Take the short route to the coastal path and I am doing the west coast of the Lizard, cross inland, then the east coast and back along the bottom.  The photos will really tell the story.

Around to that headland to cut in
Find the first three or so caches that are part of the Lizard series.  The great thing about this time of the morning is that no-one is around to spot my searching.  My only DNF is part of the Nice Places series, where the clue of under a rock didn't help when there were hundreds of rocks.
Cache under here... nice clamber down.
Come, once again, to Kynance Cove.  This is the 3rd time and still the tide is in, so I cannot get to Asparagus Island.  Oh well - there are two days left.

Came from the distant headland.
I am now walking inland for a good three miles across Lizard Downs to pick up the East Coast of the penisula.  There is one cache at a church and then I come to the Devil's Frying Pan.
If he has sausages on, he can have my soul

The Frying Pan - A Zawn
A Zawn is a collapsed sea cliff.  I am getting to the point that there might be a collapsed geocacher to go with it.

Thats not even my headland...
This is uncharted territory for me and i cannot even see the lighthouse that I know is on my headland.  There are no end of photo opportunities to go with the cache trail around here... so I'll pick out the best.

Sea Arch

Lifeboat station reconstuction in distance

I came from that headland

41 and beat the camera 10 second auto photo

Another cache location and I can see my house
A stunning walk.  Get home and I am locked out.  Consider the hot tub in the nip but think better of it.  Sonia and the kids are soon back and aren't I lucky, they have the ingredients for my FEB.

And to answer the mystery of how I am managing to blog when I cannot get a phone signal.

No comments:

Post a Comment