Sunday 5 June 2011

5/6/11 - Chelmarsh Resevoir

Distance -
Number of Caches - 18 (Walked past one, so only found 17)
First Cache

Chelmarsh Resevoir Geotrail



After a great week of walking and caching, I am back in the rural midlands.  How do I know this?  When I drive through Kinlet, there is a sign advertising the annual Pig Race.

I've decided that I am going to aim for 100 caches in the a calendar month.  Should be easy, but not yet achieved.  There is a new trail of 18 at Chelmarsh, so after dropping Ellie off at work, I head out there through the intermittent rain.

Park up in the side road next to the pub and head down to cache number 1.  Thought it unlikely to have the trail to myself and on approching GZ, there is a bizarre noise and I head around the corner and there is a lady with a map and a man in the undergrowth.  This can only mean one thing!  Say hello and decide that rather than follow them around, I will do the route in reverse.

This meant retracing steps and taking a green lane that is so straight it can have only been built by the romans.  There are a number down here, including a a detour across knee length wet grass to pick up one. 

First 6 of the day finishing up at the now closed Kings Arms.  Is there a sadder sight in the world than a closed down, boarded up pub?  Even at 10am on a Sunday?

Miss out on one by not looking at the map properly (they are coming thick and fast)  - but I do return to this in the car to keep the numbers up.  I am now at the resevoir for the first and will be making a complete loop of it, picking up the Jack Myton Way.

Chelmarsh Resevoir
Bump into the other cachers around cache 9.... exactly half way around the route.  As I can see their completed logs, I know now these to be Shortmat, who I have seen on a number of other logs.  Miss out on one, where I was concentrating on finding the footpath - could go back, but decide this will be my one to stop a 100% round.  There is always one.  Work my way around with the caches getting increasingly easier, until I get to number 1 - which takes me an age to locate but my patience is rewarded.

Thanks to spekey for laying and maintaining the trail.  Suited my needs for a damp, overcast Sunday.

Back to the real world tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment