Saturday 5 September 2020

05/09/20 - Avening - Geocaching and the Weighbridge Inn

Distance - 4 Miles
Geocaches - 25



Coming on for four years since I was last in Avening and it will be no surprise that the reason I am here is another Geoaching Trail from the Haiselden family. Thanks for placing them.

On looking at the logs - I can see that Wibsey Wench was out hunting yesterday.  Alas, I didn't bump into them but it would have been quite amusing if I had.   Only last week, I missed them on a round in Warwickshire - where I was dropping off one of their TBs I had found in Suffolk.

Geocaching is a small world - but not quite that small.

So I knew what to expect from the terrain - gentle Cotswold Hills, decent paths and death throes of summer, the perfect time to avoid the worst of the mud.

Most pleasant and quickly knocked off with a 100% success rate - as long as I am allowed to claim the one seen and not signed.   The logs will explain 😉

Avening Church
Starts near the Church - Wonder if the Cross lights up at night?

Gentle Cotswolds
Gentle Cotswold Hills

Avening Park
Avening Park

Looking down on Avening from a cache location
Cache, with Avening hidden in the valley below

Post walking refreshment choice....  The Bell would have been the logical choice but having used it on the last visit, I'm keen to explore places new.

The Weighbridge is a couple of miles out the village - on the cusp of Nailsworth.  One look at the Internet reviews and I had to determine what it was that made their 2 in 1 pies so legendary.

The Weigbridge
Imposing Pub that demands investigation

From what I can tell - being more of a fishfinger sandwich kind of man on a Saturday Lunch - it's a pie where half the filling is replaced by cauliflower cheese.  Interesting concept - surely the pub is onto a winner here, as they are saving half of the expensive contents and replacing it with a cheap substitute?  

No doubting the quality of the beer though - Uley Bewery being the locals choice and the Old Spot in such good condition that I have been checking their webshop to see if they do bottles.

Classic bad news/good news - no bottles, but the whole range available in 5L mini kegs.

I may as well save on the delivery charges with a big order, eh?

Uley Old Spot
Upstairs at the Pie Shop

No comments:

Post a Comment