Thursday 24 September 2020

24/09/20 - The Lamb and Flag, Worcester

Everything is screwed... NS&I slash interest rates and premium bond prizes. The UK stock market tanked, showed signs of recovery and then following one ill judged Tuesday announcement started to tank again.

How can you make money in the "New, New Normal"?  And then it came to me as I get the final 2020 Good Beer Guide Tick in Worcester.

Invest in sign-writing companies.

Lamb and Flag, Worcester
Going to be busier than ever

Why I am Here

More Adventure Lab Geocaching... a perfect way to remind oneself as to how lovely our county capital is.
Worcester Catherdral
Worcester Cathedral - The Water Gate is Stage 1 on the Lab Cache

Glovers Spire, Worcester
Glover's Spire - Stage 1 on the other Lab Cache

My History

In my youth, where the only thing to concern me was who was the best out of Blur or Oasis - I used to work opposite the Lamb and Flag. It was a proper old man's Irish bar and I only discovered its charms in my final year.  We had 45 minutes for lunch at 12pm - and expecting the lunch time rush - they would have many pints of Guinness 3/4's full. You weren't allowed to touch them - they needed to build properly.

The last time I would have been here would have been 1995.

Former Kays Head Office
Former IT Office of Kays Catalogue - where I failed to get excited by Windows 3.0


The Lamb and Flag Now

What a time to visit - the first day of the start of the second lock down. I could moan but I am saving logic reasoning and despair for my family.

Photos taken outside, before I arrange my jet black snood/face mask in a fashion that means I have to explain to those exiting the premises that I am not going to rob the place.

Lamb and Flag, Worcester
How has it changed in 25 years?

I do the new pub dance. Hand sanitising, manual log-in of details. Wait at the entrance to be greeted by another bandit.  Surprisingly full, I have to negotiate how long I need a table for. Well done, people of Worcester.

Sit down, evaluate.  It used to be two rooms divided by a central bar, where the Guinness rested. It's now more or less knocked into one room, with a bar running along the length. It's been modernised in a sort of cafe style by the Two Crafty Brewers. As I pass the bar, I try and take in the beers on offer - 1 Crafty Brewer and 2 x Wye Valley.

Lamb and Flag, Worcester
Wye Valley HPA wins

As a solo pub ticker, there's entertainment to be had watching how the rules are interpreted.  A gang of workers offer space for anyone who comes in to join their bubble.  Card payments are met with "keep the change".  An old boy ignores the soap, the meet and greet and waits at the bar for service.  He's not happy with the way things are, when the new world order is explained.  Even the workers' sympathy of "he can come here, but he cannot see his grandchildren" is met with "I come here to get away from my grand-children".

Its grim humour but its all we have.  

We just need to remember to make the staffs' lives easy.


No comments:

Post a Comment