Wednesday 9 September 2020

09/09/20 - The Railwayman Arms, Bridgnorth

The only mistake I've made ticking of the Good Beer Guide Pubs of Bridgnorth is not doing them on a full day, 6 Centre pub crawl. I could have arrived/departed on the Severn Valley Steam Train, feeling more sanguine about the high fare as I chugged back into Kidderminster for Bathams at the King and Castle.

Instead of this epic day out, I have been visiting the pubs one trip at a time.  My latest excursion, an Adventure Lab Geocache.  For the uninitiated, this is a virtual treasure hunt, using a mobile phone and finding hidden gems in an area.  A wonderful piece of psycho-geography, that often points out lesser visited spots within an urban location.

Five stages, and I walk from low town, to the cliff railway, the town hall and the previously unvisited castle gardens.

Bridgnorth Low Town
Low Town - A climb to come

Bridgnorth Cliff Railway
Or I could have taken Public Transport

Bridgnorth Market Hall
The Town Hall - which always contained a physical geocache

Bridgnorth Castle
What remains of Bridgnorth Castle

But this is only only four locations, I hear the still awake cry.

As if by design, the final GZ is the Railwayman's Arms - one of my three remaining Good Beer Guide Ticks.  I could not have planned the visit better myself.

Bridgnorth Railway Arms
At last - I find a good pub with Railway in the name

Its located at Platform 1 of the SVR.  As you would expect, its full of railway paraphernalia and posters that make Aberystwyth look more beautiful than the the Malcom Pryce novels.

Bridgnorth Railway Arms
Usually Packed

Like Kidderminster, the Bathams is usually available - but not today.  Covid, of course, is blamed.

Hobson's Town Crier is an able substitute.


No comments:

Post a Comment