Friday 26 May 2023

26/05/23 - The Good Beer Guide Pubs of Huddersfield

 Why do people ever leave Huddersfield by train when there are so many temptations?


One of the finest arrivals by train, anywhere in the country. Emerge through Doric arches into a very cosmopolitan square. A square that evokes such civic pride that it is safe to leave an unguarded statue of a former prime minister.

You'll run out of fingers counting backwards to the last PM that this honour would be safe for.

Huddersfield Arrival
Is this Madrid?

The Adventure Lab Geocaching doesnt take as long as expected, so a quick bargain pint at the Cherry Tree.  A JDW Conversion from a former bed shop, so there is no need to bring you photos. 

Head south and beyond the safety of the ring-road for Ossett's Rat and Ratchet.  A proper pub in every sense of the word... tiled floors, wall mounted beer paraphernalia, multi-roomed and even, if the other punters are to be believed, a beer garden.

Rat and Ratchet, Huddersfield
Now this is what I call a pub

Rat and Ratchet, Huddersfield
In the Interests of experimentation, an Ossett Butterley

Of course, I asked for a pint of Butterfly, prompting the witty barman to retort that we get a lot of Lepidoperests in. I was impressed, until I saw the joke chalked on the board behind me.

In a normal town, I would have camped here. If for any reason, you have come with transport (7.5 Tonne Lorry should suffice), I must bring a shop around the corner to your attention.

I petition to make the Crate Escape a national chain?


Back across town for pint of the day. A bold claim, for a Timothy Taylor Boltmaker and one I may retract as I work down the blog.

What the Sportsman lacked in punters, it made up with by a classic, timeless lunchtime pint feel.

Sportsman, Huddersfield
I've heard the sun is dangerous and should be avoided

Plenty going on in evenings, with tap takeovers and even whisky nights.

The Good Beer Guide App (now unavailable, so I can never upgrade my phone) takes me to a Brewery Tap that I may otherwise have missed. A short walk, but the Magic Rock Brewery, is labelled under Birkby, rather than Huddersfield.

It wasn't until Head of Steam that I realised why Magic Rock struck a cord with me. A very nice Tap, where you dodge the forklifts to sit either inside or outside, with lots of benches available. A whole smorgasbord of keg and cask to try in various size of dispense. 

Barrel Aging, Magic Rock
The caged barrel aging at Magic Rock

With such a choice, I cannot recommend what you have to drink. However, if you need snacks, do not pass the poppadums by. Nuts, crisps and even scampi fries don't stand a chance when you get a little tub of mango chutney inside the packet.

Never having seen them before, I am now ruined for life.

Poppadoms, Magic Rock
Restaurant Quality

Finally, back to the twin guardians of the railway station. Like Euston, we have a couple of sentries built into the Station fabric, offering temptation not to catch the next train.

The King's Head is the Good Beer Guide Tick and is further endorsed by being the watering hole of Postmen. Men in shorts always know where to drink.

Abbeydale Brewery Black Mass - can you guess the ABV? I'll give you a clue, I thought best to take 2/3rds.

The Kings Head, Huddersfield
6.66%.  Bonus point for naming another beer at this ABV

On the opposite side - and somehow shunned by the GBG - is the Head of Steam. What a collection of beers. Magic Rock Cannon Ball reminding me where I had heard of the brewery before.

A fine collection of international beers adding to the continental square feel.

La Trappe Tripel on draught...... I'll look to see what time the next train is.

La Trappe Tripel at the Head of Steam, Huddersfield
Huddersfield, Yorkshire, Europe


No comments:

Post a Comment