Saturday 6 May 2023

06/05/23 - Rannerdale Knotts, Whiteless Pike and Wandope

 Finding my limits on the eastern path from Wandope


Time to pick off a few more Wainwrights and a valuable lesson learned for my future self. Rather than actually pick a route at random - have a look at the complexity and height gain.

This is the closest I have got to giving up, lying down and waiting for someone to come to the rescue.

The walks is in one of the most beautiful parts of the Lake District, Buttermere. I was last here on the Inn Way to the Lake District and took the time for an afternoon nap on a little spit of headland jutting into Crummock Water. On awakening, I got a little emotional at the beauty and had a little cry. It was nothing to do with the lunch time four pints of Loweswater Gold at the Kirstile Inn.

The walk is meant to start at a little free parking area at the bottom of Rannerdale Knotts. I am early, but it is Saturday on a bank holiday weekend and in the one bit of planning I do, I spot more space elsewhere.

My walk begins at Newlands Hause, opposite Moss Force.

Parking area opposite Moss Force
Opposite Moss Force 

The guidebook does explain that this in intricate and occasionally off path. I recognise that I have to cross Mill Beck and this proves easy enough with walking poles to balance on slippery stones.  Its then up and up to Rannderdale Knotts - providing superb views across the lakes.

Lake Buttermere and Crummock from Rannerdale Knotts
Buttermere and Crummock from the end of Rannderdale Knotts

The descent is steep but short and the true start of the walk is found.  Yep, the car park is full.  I made the correct decision.

Doubling back on myself along Squat Beck, the bluebells are out if force. A roped walkway avoiding unnecessary trampling. Fleece off, predicted thunderstorms failing to materialise, this is as good as the day gets.

Heading into Dale How
Through the Bluebells

I can see Whiteless Pike and convince myself that I am not going up the huge lump looming over it.

This is, of course, Wandope. 51st out of 214 in terms of height. It's a relentless plod. Fell runners in both directions laugh at my lack of fitness.

Wandope from Whiteless Pike
Whiteless Pike - dropping off to climb Wandope (peak to the right)

Then it all goes slightly wrong. The path east off Wandope (running past the hanging valley of Addacombe Hole) is a feint dashed line on the map. I get to the edge and look for it and there is nothing on the ground - just the steepest drop I have ever seen.

I am unsure what to do. It doesn't look safe, but I have no other way than forward, unless I go back the way I came.

Tentatively, I head "off piste", half hoping one of the other walkers will see me and talk me down.

After a very nervous start, a sole footprint is spotted in the peat and there is the faintest of paths dropping straight down along a thin ridge. Even with walking poles, I decide the only way to descend is on my backside, using the poles as some sort of breaking oar.  

Sliding down starts as a good idea, if a little unglamorous, until my trousers ride up.

I am now wearing my testicles as ear-rings.  

Getting to the bottom at Addacombe Beck, I see that I am supposed to do another climb - Ard Crags and Knott Rigg.

There's simply nothing left in the tank, but thankfully, I do have an escape route. The path running underneath Bleak Rigg will return me to where I crossed Mill Beck and a short climb back to the car.

Escape route under Bleak Rigg
Hugging the valley floor for as long as possible

I've never stopped so many times on a walk. My average speed, 1.23 MPH.    

Once back in civilisation, I investigate other people's experience of this route. I have read of a few who have walked up this killer path to Wandope.  

They all vow "never again".

I also google steepest incline safe to walk and find this;
An able-bodied person might go up an incline that is 45-50 degrees without the need of a harness, spotter, safety handles, or restraint. People who have excellent balance and great centers of gravity fall into this group of people who can climb such things unassisted.
The descent from Wandope is 40-49 degrees.

Walk Details

Distance - 8 Miles
Duration - 5 hours
Average Speed - 1.23 MPH
Height Gain - 3120ft
Walk Inspiration - Walking the Wainwrights, Graham Ulney, Walk 54 
 
Geocaches - 0


No comments:

Post a Comment