Friday 5 May 2023

05/05/23 - A Preston Pub Crawl

 Preston - My New Gateway to the Lakes


I'm quite unsure why I haven't thought of this before. As an alternative to setting the alarm at stupid O'Clock in the morning, I'll break up Lake District journeys by investigating post industrial Northern powerhouse cities.

A first visit to Preston. Armed with the Good Beer Guide and an Adventure Lab Cache, I'll charge around as many locations as I can. 

Another blog, where I have probably taken on too much and will undoubtedly complain about beer prices but if you want a summary - a lovely City, with many types of drinking venue in close proximity.

First stop, after starting the ALC in the railway station, is Old Vic. A pub so close to the station, the bar has a departures screen.

Old Vic, Preston
Solid Start.  I love tradition.

Decent range of real ales (Kirby Lonsdale Pennine Ambler selected) - at a reasonable price - although I am sure that my scampi fries add-on increased the round price by 50%.  

A touch unsure that the battleship grey painted beams added to the ambiance. Unless you like the experience of drinking in a 1970's, underground car park.

Old Vic, Preston
A lesson in how to make wood look like concrete.

On the subject of car parks - comments welcome on why the pubs car park is only only on a Sunday?

The ALC takes me on a diversion to the hidden inner city beauty of Winckley Square. A hangout for teenage girls and their jazz cigarettes.

Winckly Square, Preston
Inner City Preston

And soon back on the beer, at the other end of the drinking spectrum. A high number of craft beer micro's in Preston. The first is the Winckley Street Ale House.  A functional name, doing what it says on the tin, but the romantic in me prefers its original name.  

The Otter's Pocket.

The range is impressive. The prices are eye watering. I'm always waiting for Kernel beers to blow my socks off but £9 a pint for a 7%er?  Even if it is from "That London".

Winckley Street Alehouse Beer Board, Preston
Taking half a Kernel with half a Burnt Mills did not make any savings

In a blogging first, concurrent siblings micro pubs coming up. Guild Ale House is the pick of the pair - an impressive building, with high ceilings contributing to a less claustrophobic experience than your typical Micro. Kept it local, by going for keg Rivington.

Guild Ale House, Preston
Guild Ale House - A Happy Place

Not so sure about their sister pub, Orchard. Housed at the end of the covered market - its a tiny bar. The sort of place where you need to ask where the loo's are and the information comes with a four digit code. Always the potential to end in disaster.  

Deya Steady Rolling Man, that I failed to check into Untapped. If I told you I was distracted by having to listen to a street poet perform a rendition of his entire act to just me, would you believe it? 

Orchard, Preston
I was never going to turn down Black Pudding Crisps.

Some street art as part of the ALC.

Contemporary Street Art, Preston
From the Contemporary 
Lune Street Strike, Preston
To the Topical......
Lune Street Strike, Preston
..... striking protesters, shot by the Man.  Four Dead

Lune Street is Preston's Peterloo...  lets hope the Met didn't come to Lancashire for Coronation event training.

Back to the pubs and another Micro - Plugs and TapsA busy place, where I sat at the bar and contemplated.  

Why is my Rivington Good Times Emporium (5.2%) sold in Schooners only? 
Why do both barmen have unusual moustaches?  
Why is someone blowing up a 2ft inflatable cactus? 

Plugs and Taps, Preston
The answer to two questions - Mexican Theme Night - Street food available 

The Old Black Bull was a mistake. Two reasons to come. Reason 1 - I'm always seduced by external tiling. Reason 2 - it was on my list of 6 from a Camra recommened pub crawl. Timothy Taylor Landlord in poor condition. Threat of violence from a group of Geordies, trying to get the students off the pool table. To be fair - the Geordies had etiquette on their side - its your turn next if you put down a pound. Even if it is winner stays on.

Old Black Bull, Preston
Obliged to show you a Grade II listed, externally tiled pub

And in true game show style, I save the best to last. 

The Black Horse needs little introduction to pub connoisseurs.  A reason to visit in it's own right.  

Black Horse, Preston
Robinson's Black Horse

Lets count the reasons;
  1. Central Lancs Pub of the Year, 2023
  2. Nationally Important historic pub interior
    1. Tiled Bar
    2. Tiled Walls
    3. Mosiac Floor
    4. Intricate ceiling
  3. Hall of Mirrors seating area
  4. Old Tom both on cask and dangerously sold in pints
    1. And I missed out on Baby Faced Assassin - never previously seen and been on my "to drink" list for ages.
Pretty much a perfect pub - with alcoves to separate the regulars from the tourists charging around, trying to take surreptitious photos for their blogs.

Black Horse, Preston
Sit and drink in wonder
Black Horse, Preston
The famous pub cat

Time was on my side. I could have stayed for more. I could have explored more - with 7 more Good Beer Guide Ticks waiting.

With tomorrow planned for ticking Wainwrights (mountains, not Marstons), I make the sensible decision and retreat to Lenny's Purple Palace.

A good evenings work completed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment