Sunday 31 July 2022

30/07/20 - How I learned to Puzzle Cache

Geocaches - 70.  66 Found.  4 DNF

First Cache

Distance - 12 miles walks.  Similar Driven.


Yo Jigidi... with the exception of Jigsaws, I have never really taken to Puzzle Caching. On first glance, they are like Earthcaches - utterley incomprehensible.

MysteryCache
I mean, what the hell are you meant to do with that?

At the start of the July, I started to get the geocache publication notification messages. I could see an evergrowing list of mystery caches placed for the West Midlands Mega. I imagine this to be like Glastonbury for tupperware hunters. With less coverage on the BBC.

So a bit of a google and I found a few resources on-line that help with about 80% of solving. I'm recording them here for my own benefit in the future.

CACHESLEUTH - has a number of tools, the best being the multi-decoder - copy the offending text into a window and let it do a brute force attack.  I also used it identify any character alphabets - by putting the word North into the text box.  A great timesaver, when there are 200+ such alphabets that can be used.

BOXENTRIQ - is a bit more subtle and attempts to identify a cipher.

GCCODEBOOK - a downloadable PDF file.  Useful for browsing.

If these didn't provide an answer, there is a facebook page that you can ask for help... providing the FTF has gone. I also exchanged messages with other hunters. Thanks TwoOfNine for your help.

And if all else failed, my own brainpower got me a few answers.  

Four that caused me most grief (in case it helps me in the future)

  • random ABCDEFG - 7 Segment digital display
  • Phone keypads
  • adding letters together with no key - could be a popular game that Mrs M spends all day on her phone playing against strangers.  At least that's what she says she is doing
  • Can numbers be converted?  Think temperatures.

I dread to think how much time I invested solving all 70. I spent 1hr 40 minutes on one jigsaw alone.  Apparently there is a hack for those but what else am I going to do with my time? Not learn how to debug HTML, for sure.

Plotting the route - it looked like the CO planned for these to be completed as Drive Bys. Or maybe Cycle Bys. I was tempted to buy a bike, as solo caching and driving did not sound too safe an endeavour. With a bit of planning, I could see that I could start at Bramshall, catch a bus to Stowe-by-Chartley to pick up number one and walk a linear route getting me the first 56 caches.  

The last 14 completed as the CO intended.

WM Mega Bison
At around Cache 9, I realised the Bisons were branded

Star Inn, Church Leigh
Nice looking pub at Church Leigh - Alas, I was too early

Church Leigh
So I had a packed lunch after getting the Church Micro

Uttoxeter Buntings Blonde
Paying for Parking at the Butchers Arms, Bramshall

The effort was worth it. I broke my most caches found in a day. A record that has stood for 9 long years.

But my effort was nothing in comparison to the people who set them up. Many thanks to Puzzle_Mega_Crew_22.

I hope your have a great event!


No comments:

Post a Comment