Friday 22 July 2022

22/07/22 - The Good Beer Guide Pubs of Salford

Pubs - 3

Good Beer Guide Pubs - #697-#698

My walk drops me off in Salford.  A whole new city to explore. The Good Beer Guide has just two entries, but the rules state that a crawl requires at least three pubs.  My alternative source of recommendations has pulled out some gems that are off the beaten track. Again, this resource delivers but not necessarily in the way I expected.

New Oxford, Bexley Square, Kelburn Brewing Jaguar

New Oxford, Salford
A new favourite

A pub since the 1850s, its traded under various names. One former name would make it a nailed on favourite for those once a year Xmas boozers who get everything wrong. Going to the bar without establishing what's in the order. Ordering Guinness last. You know the type.  

They would be most welcome at the Amateurs Arms.

It's in a great position on a quiet cobbled, pedestrianised square. Outdoor seating and big umbrellas. If I wasn't wearing my rain coat, I could be in Madrid.

This pub is a real find and one I will be coming back to. 20 lines to work through and of course, once I had perused both sides of the bar and the chalk board, I noticed the fridges full of Belgian bottles.

A really comfortable area to people watch. And when you are bored with the people, the nearby architecture is impressive.

The Black Friar, Blackfriars Road, Birra Moretti
Black Friar, Salford
Old meets new in Salford

It was the yellow Boddington's sign on the right hand side of the pub that lured me in.  That and its Lazarus like second coming.

15 years ago, the pub burned down. In the following years it was neglected, repeatedly vandalised and did not get back on its feet until 2021. Following a £2m investment. I should have thought to myself "that is a lot of money to invest into a pub".

Opening the door to be met by both a bouncer and a Maitre d' led me to blurt out "I didn't know you were this posh..... can I have a drink?".

They insisted that they were not posh and yes, indeed, I could have a drink at the bar if I so required. 

Readjusting my composure - and taking the motto "in for a penny, in for many pounds" to its logical conclusion, I asked if there was a table free. A long ago lunch was a chicken wrap and family pack of monster munch and I always take advantage of what the trail throws at me.

I was led to a delightful garden, complete with my own working heater and presented with a menu.

Black Friar, Salford
What have I done

After wondering how much cheese I could get at Swinton Asda for £18, I decided to go all in for a steak.  I won't say how much it was but the five sauteed potatoes that had to be ordered extra were a fiver.

I was well looked after by friendly, liveried staff.  I think they could tell I was the only person that had got here through a combination of shanks pony and Diamond Bus North West.

The food was that delicious, I was after something else to eat about 30 minutes after completing my meal.

The Eagle Inn, Collier Street, Holts Bitter

The Good Beer Guide brings me back down to earth with a major bang but in the most delightful way.  Another gem of a pub that has fought off being swallowed by the high rise new builds.  

Eagle Inn, Salford
My sort of place

A Grade II listed building with multiple rooms to explore and an area out the front for over spill.

I settled in a quiet piano room to reflect on another fine evening of urban exploring. 

Eagle Inn, Salford
Holts and a Piano

1 comment:

  1. Blimey, didn't know the Black Friar was posh, either. The Boddies sign makes it look quite the boozer.

    Lovely pics of the Eagle.

    ReplyDelete