Monday 22 April 2019

22/04/19 - Colesbourne Inn - An Adventurous Pub Walk.

Distance - 13.5 Miles
Geocaches - 17
Walk Inspiration - Rambling in the Cotswolds (Green) - Harry Hargreaves - Walk 15


Weather wise, this is the Bank Holiday weekend that keeps on giving.

Would be rude not to complete an Adventurous Pub Walk.

Inspiration comes from a 1981 pamphlet of 22 walks in the North Cotswolds written by Harry Hargreaves.   I'm delighted to say that the footpaths are exactly as described and the route holds true.  I suppose you shouldn't be surprised when you are walking through the Roman estate of Chedworth. 

This part of the country is timeless.

The walk starts at the Colesbourne Inn, a coaching inn on A425 dating from 1827.   Looks stunning in the early morning sunshine.

Colesbourne Inn
1827 Coaching House and post walk refreshment
Harry is taking me to a part of the Cotswolds that is rarely covered by other guides, explaining the absence of other walkers.  Makes for muggle free and easy geocaching, as I head east through fields and woodland.

Early Views
Early Vista
Surprisingly, he makes no mention of the Roman Villa.   The walking through Chedworths woods is perfect in the conditions but how can you ignore an invitation to look at 2000 years of history?   I make a diversion, picking up the proper route after I have walked the Coln Valley floor past Turpins Green.

Chedworth Villa Estate
Fine walking through Chedworth Woods
Going off route to investigate
Looks interesting - will divert
Chedworth Villa
Photo over the fence - paid entry and I only have enough cash for my post walk pint

River Coln
Walking along the Coln Valley Floor
From a walking perspective, the highlight of the day is a ridge running over the Coln to Withington.

Cassey Compton
Lovely Stretch over WoodBridge to Withington
Withington has two pubs marked on the map and I walk past one, the Mill Inn.   Looks familiar to me, but I don't know whether this was from a previous walk or if I looked at it on Google Maps whilst plotting.  11am is too early, which is a shame.  I'll have to investigate Harry's other walks to see if I can get another pub tick.

Mill Inn in Withington
2nd Handsome Pub of the Day
The remainder of the route is functional - horse training fields and agriculural land.   Some views from the top of Shill Hill.   I miss the footpath in Smoke Acre, above Hilcot and add half a mile onto route trying to get back on the lane.

Shill Hill Views
Shill Hill Views
Road Walking from Hilcot
Lane Walking from the Hilcots

A decent enough ramble - now to check out the pub.   It's a Wadworth house and I was warned by an elderly jogger on route that it was very expensive to dine at.   This doesn't appear to have deterred the Gloucestershire Gastro Pub Fans.

I'm only here for liquid refreshment and I am delighted to inform that its probably the best pint of 6x I've had.   Lovely colour, lovely lacing till the very end.

A perfect reward.

Perfect 6x - a fitting reward.
That is a thing of beauty.


No comments:

Post a Comment