Thursday 11 April 2019

11/04/19 - Day 4 - Inn Way to Peak District - Castleton Pubs

Walk During the Day
Pubs - 5
Good Beer Guide Tick - 379

A whopping 12 pubs are available on day 4 of the Inn Way to the Peak District.   I blogged about the 7 that I passed during the walk in link detailed at the top of this report.

That still leaves the 5 in Castleton itself to detail, including for the first time on this journey, an entry in the Good Beer Guide 2019.

Which is interesting, as up to now, the pubs have been "middling".   Far more Greene Kings than I was expecting and so far, I have managed to keep the variety high, with different breweries and beers taken, where possible.

Castleton itself is an absolute joy.   Crammed with history, interesting buildings and 5 pubs in very close proximity.   An initial tour was required to find out if anything was on any menu that didn't involve meat and potatoes. 

But we start at the Peak Hotel for pint of the week.  A beautiful presented Theakstons Best Bitter.

A rambling pub, with plenty of room but nothing spicy on the menu.

Peak Hotel, Castleton
Meat and Potato Food Served Every Day - Pint of the Week
I am starving by now, so in the interests of time, I complete a circuit of the remaining pubs.  Most have their menus proudly displayed outside.  I should have stuck with the 1st - Ye Olde Nags Head has Thai Red Curry.   My tastebuds tingle with joy.

Old Nags Head, Castleton
C17th Pub - C21st Good Beer Guide Tick
I managed to blag pride of place in front of the Georgian hob grate fireplace, discovering yet another new brewery, Kelham, and their perfect wares.  Worthy of their place in the 2019 Good Beer Guide

Fed, and some would say, watered, I have to tick off the rest.   I don't know when I'll be back and so far, this has been easily the best kept beer.

The George is closer to the Castle than the Castle.  A very nice pub, where the only place to sit was at the bar.   Black Sheep, in front of the fire decorated with suit of arms and a couple of swords for if the pub quiz gets tasty.

The George, Castleton
Bad Dusk Photo but does show the Castle's proximity to Peveril Castle
More Black Sheep at the Castle, also C17th but with a more modern makeover.  Brightly lit and with a bit of furniture relocation, I could get a high stool next to the fire.   I've had blue skies in the day but very cold evenings of below zero temperatures.

Friendly locals, some of whom had never been to London, others who had never been to Hayfield - tomorrows destination and all of 12 miles away.

The Castle, Castleton
Evening Falls on Castleton
A Robinson Pub next.   No trip North is complete without one.   Huge pub, but I think the diners had gone home, as it was mainly empty.    The Unicorn was in perfect condition.

Bulls Head, Castleton
Bulls Head - Just add punters
Finally, a night cap of Acorn Brewery Barnsley Bitter at Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese.   The Good Beer Guide details a pub with this name in nearby Hope and until I checked Google Maps, I though I might be getting 2 Good Beer Ticks.

This is a fantastic pub - dating from 1660, with a list of previous landlords tenureship detailed across low beams.

It's also my room for the night - a single room, where I can leap from the shower onto my bed with minimal effort.

Once again, an honour to be staying somewhere with such history.

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, Castleton
My room - above the first Arch over to the right

Best location of the week.   I will return.

No comments:

Post a Comment