Monday 8 April 2019

08/04/19 - Day 1 - Inn Way to Peak District - Hathersage to Baslow

Start - Hathersage
Finish - Baslow
Distance - 13 Miles
Key Features - Stanage, Froggatt and Curbar Edges
Geocaches - 5
Pubs - 5 attempted, 4 successfully.

Background
The Inn Way guides are a series of 5 books published over the last 20 years.   This is my fourth one, having previously completed the Yorkshire Dales, Lake District and North Yorkshire Moors.

I'll provide a daily blog to show any changes that may have occurred since the book was published.

The good news is that the Peak District has fewest revisions.   The vast majority of the pubs are still open.   Unlike the North Yorkshire Moors.

Day 1
The book suggests starting at Hayfield, but thinking I know better, I aim for Hathersage as a starting point.   The main reason for beginning out of step is that Hathersage has a train station.   In the end, this would have been a three change monster of a journey and more expensive than the fuel. 

There's a long stay car park in Oddfellows Road and if you use the Derbyshire Dales website, you can order a week long rover pass for just over £20.   It's a scratch the date off that you are using it card, which left me slightly disturbed as the five possible years on the card ended at 2018.   I phoned up and was told to just biro 2019 on the end. 

Logistics done, onto the walking.

Obligatory Starting Photo
Obligatory Fresh Faced Selfie
After almost making the mistake of walking Anti Clockwise - which would have left accommodation interesting - I find the correct path out of Hathersage.   Half an eye out for final night celebrations, I notice that there are more outdoor shops than pubs.   Including one that is a converted pub.

Making my way North, uphill to get to the obvious feature of Stanage Edge.   First architectural object of interest is North Lees Hall dating from 1590.

North lees Hall
North Lees Hall
Once the edge is reached, it flat high level walking for the rest of the day.   I've walked it before, so I know that the views are amazing but today is the closest I have to bad weather all week.   A slight mist.   How lucky am I?

Stanage Edge
Stanage Edge in the Mist
Higger Tor
Higger Tor

I've made steady progress to reach the first pub of the week - The Fox House Inn - at the perfect time.   You may say 11:30am is too early for a pint but its not if you want to get the best seat in the house before the pensioners.

I'll not forget my first draught pint of Jaipur in front of the roaring fire, wondering if at £4.70 I have brought enough money to last the week.

Pint One - Fox House Inn
Twitter commented it looked cloudy.  It did settle, I was keen to get my first photo check in
Fox House Inn
Fox House Inn - Get there early to beat the Pensioners

Not too far, Geoaching through Longshaw Manor and White Edge Moor, before I am at pub 2 of the day.  Monday Lunch time and the Grouse Inn is doing a roaring trade - so busy that the only seats were outside.   No hardship, now that the mist has cleared.

White Edge Moor
Lodge on White Edge Moor
Grouse Inn
The Grouse Inn - Tuna Sandwiches and Mansfield Bitter

A perfect afternoon walking along Froggatt and Curbar Edges.   No navigational issues and I don't appear to have lost any height, so a pleasant stroll in the afternoon sunshine.

Froggatt Edge
I have many, many similar photos
Eagle Stone
Eagle Stone marks the end of the Edges.

A long, steep descent along Bar Road and I am in Baslow for first nights entertainment.

The Devonshire Arms provided my accommodation for the evening and an opportunity to drink LocALE with Peak Ales Bakewell Best Bitter.   Mainly catering for dining tourists but in the evening, they did have the football on.   With the volume turned off.

Devonshire Arms, Baslow
Chez Mappiman
Over the road is the Wheatsheaf.  This was originally my plan for accommodation and was booked.  Two months later, I had a phone call to say it would be closed this week for a refurb.   At least they let me know.   Ask me about the Inn at Hawnby disaster from last year.

Wheatsheaf, Baslow
Only fail of the evening
I decide to eat out of the Devonshire tonight - so a short walk to Rowley's Bar and Restaurant provides an opportunity to explore Baslow.   Nice Church, an Italian that I think was open and Rutland Arms detailed in the book is now long gone.   I couldn't even identify which building used to host the pub.

Baslow Church at Dusk
Baslow Church at Dusk
Rowleys Bar and Restaurant, Baslow
Rowleys

A perfect first day - the walking was gentle, the pubs open and its Mad Mondays at Rowleys.

Three courses for the price of two.

So after a feast and an Abbeydale Brewery Moonshine, I retire to the Devonshire Arms.

There's two new dramas starting at 9pm on BBC1 and ITV.   I can't make my mind up whether to go for the Widow or the Victim.   In the end, there was no decision to be made.

Someone had stolen the remote control my room.

I'll be fresh for tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment