Saturday 13 April 2019

13/04/19 - Day 6 - Inn Way to Peak District - Hayfield to Hathersage

Start - Hayfield
Finish - Hathersage
Distance -  18 Miles
Key Features - Snake Path, Kinder Reservoir, William Clough, Winhill Pike
Geocaches - 15
Pubs - 4 Visited, 7 Available
Previous Days - Day 1Day 2Day 3Day 4, Day 5


So this is it.  Another year's adventure comes to an end.   An end of waking up and only having to concentrate on the next Full English Breakfast, pint and putting one foot in front of another.

You may remember from Day 1 that I've started slightly out of sync.   This walk is the first in the book but my final day.   Its also the longest - 18 miles in store for today.

But there is method in my madness.   As well as the transport benefits, this leg provides a summary of most of the walk, where you can see the edges and the Hope valley for a final reminder.   Besides, if you did 18 miles on day 1, you may be in danger of never starting day 2.

Leaving Hayfield, a couple of signs remind us of the Mass Trespass that opened up the countryside to Ramblers and the house where Captain Mainwaring was born.

Do you think it wise to do 18 miles on the late day?
Is it wise to walk 18 miles on the last day?
Mass Trespass
Mass Trespass
Snake Path gently rises out of Hathersage, overlooking Kinder Reservoir and providing access to the first big climb of the day, up along William Clough.   I've been worried about the distance, but paid no attention to the elevation.   Best part of 3000ft is climbed.

Snake Path
Snake Path
Kinder Reservoir
Overlooking Kinder Reservoir

At the top of William Clough, most people are turning right to conquer Kinder Downfall and embark on a fruitless search for Kinder Scout's highest point.   I press on, further north then west to walk through the wilds of Black Ashop Moor.

The terrain reminds of something out of Game of Thrones.   This blog has taken so long, that I still haven't had time to catch up of S8S1.

Black Ashop Moor
The Wilds of Black Ashop Moor
Another good point about saving today to the end is that this is the only time I get slightly dirty during the week.   Some serious peat bogs and black earth to navigate.  I dread to think what its like after inclement weather.

A good three mile yomp, where I bump into hopelessly lost Duke of Edinburgh's who should be on the Pennine Way.   I'm able to direct to where this path will intersect with where they need to be and reassure them that their mistake has probably saved them a couple of miles.

Saukin Ridge
Saukin Ridge, after the lost DoE
My route climbs higher than the famous Snake Pass Inn, which hides itself away in the trees, should I have been tempted to divert.   A Roman road takes me to Blackey Hey for the 2nd climb of the day.  The views are mainly behind me.

Blackley Hey
Where I have been walking
A significant series of Geocaches at the top of Woodlands Valley, overlooking Ladybower, takes my mind of the walking.  Fine views over the Hope Valley and the omnipresent Castleton works comes into view yet again.

I'm just about done in when Winpike Crag is reached.   The end is near.

Winhill Pike
Go on, have another climb
A very steep drop down into Bamford, where only one of the two pubs remain.   The Anglers is in the Good Beer Guide 2019 and has been rescued by the community.   Pick the wrong door and you end up in the Post Office.   The barman selling me my Chatsword Gold was most interested in how far I had come.

The Anglers, Bamford
Rescued by the community
Said Barman assures me its only 2 miles to Hathersage and all downhill.    He's half correct but a couple more agricultural climbs are in required.   The village comes into view and somewhere down below is my final bed for the night, the YHA.   At 49, I wonder if I will be the youngest resident again.

Hathersage comes into view
The Inn Way to the Peak District is Complete
After checking in, showering and having rescued celebration glad rags from the car, I have just a few more pubs to tick off.

And a summary blog to complete.

Nearest the YHA is the George Hotel.   Now, I keep a record of my pub visits on www.pubsgalore.com and the last review there was from the legendary 20 in a day pubcrawler, the late and great Alan Winfield.   I'll just nick his one star rating, as I couldn't agree more

Alan Winfield left this review about George Hotel
The George is a decent looking pub on the outside but once you get inside things go downhill fast its been completely stripped out with pine floors and modern decor 90% of the pub is laid out for diners but nobody was eating as I was the only customer there was a small bar area in the corner that sold crap beer in the shape of Boddingtons smooth flow,this isnt a pub for locals or normal drinkers don't bother with this place.
On 10th May 2010 - rating: 1
RIP Alan.   Nothings changed in the last nine years, although they've probably replaced the Boddies.

He was happier with the Little John over the road, where I found yet another new brewery - the Welbeck Abbey.   Decent enough locals pubs, with separate pool room and charming locals.

Little John, Hathersage
The Night has fallen on Little Johns
Having mainly been fruitless in my search for spicy food all week, I can confirm that Hathersage contains two Indian Restaurants.   It might have my forced abstinence but Sangams provided one of the best Baltis I have ever had.   And I used to work in Sparkhill.

A new cocktail bar called the Bank can be added to the list of hostelries but the final one in the guide is the Scotsmans Pack.    Walked past 6 whole days ago. 

Marstons Pedigree becomes the final pint of this years Inn Way.   I didn't find Little Johns Chair, as the only space was at the bar.

Scotsmans Pack, Hathersage
Dodgy photo but its been a long week
I'll be back next year for my final Inn Way. 

Northumberland awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment