Tuesday 16 April 2019

16/04/19 - More Dublin Pub Ticking

Previous Trips - Pub Crawl 1, Pub Crawl 2


You can't really know a City until you know it's pubs.   I think I know Dublin.

Third visit in recent years and I have nearly exhausted these lists - Culture Trip to Dublin Bars and Dublin's Best 25 Bars. 

Over 2 April nights, I added the following ticks.

Mulligans, Poolbeg Street

Great planning meant that my work colleague and myself were in different hotels.   Mulligans, plotted into Google Maps, looked half way between us.   A fraught trip across the Liffey, where the local sewer rats were pelting pedestrians at the crossing with eggs, and I am in this back street boozer, opposite a soon to be demolished office block.

Mulligans
View from the Sunny Side of the Street
My work colleague doesn't like Guinness but he did appreciate being taken to an authentic Irish pub on his first visit to Dublin.   They don't come much more authentic that a 1782 institution.

Mulligans3
History Today
The Dubliners we are working with congratulated us on our choice.   I think they expected us to end up in an All Bar One.

Toners, Baggot Street

Got to say, if you are heading to Dublin and want some proper pubs away from Temple Bar, then head to Baggot Street.   The next three are all in a line waiting to be discovered.

Toners is winner of Snug of the Year.   After battling my way through the crowd of drinkers at the door, I managed to get a seat at the bar and ask the staff about it.   They offered to let me walk behind the bar to reach it, at the shop front.   I declined, I was in too deep. 

I did get a glance of it on the way out.   A packed pub and the key feature sat unused.

Toners
Snug of the Year in the left hand front Window.
Doheny and Nesbitt, Baggot Street

Just over the road and another fine example of Victorian pub interiors.   This is simply gorgeous.  Every wall decorated in Whisky themed mirrors and pub paraphernalia.  I felt it pointless to ask if they stocked it, but they even had the famous Bass Triangle.

Nesbitts
Exterior hides a wonderful interior
They even had a snug, and Toners is going some if it won Snug of the Year.   I commandeered it, until someone with more pressing needs required it.   A hungry looking family. 

I retired to the bar to start watching Barcelona dismantle Man Utd.

Nesbitts2
View from a Snug
O Donoghues, Merrion Row

Over the junction and Baggot Street turns into Merrion Row.   Here we find a pub with a proud history of Irish music.   Multi roomer, totally authentic and well worth seeking out.

P1060362
Home of Traditional Irish Music
ODonoghues
Perfect Pub


Bleeding Horse, Camden Street

I was never going to turn down a visit to such an unusually named pub but the Bleeding Horse was not as I expected.    It looked modern.  It has a history running back to the C17th.   Full of tv screens showing the football and no free space at all.   Not what I was looking for.

BleedingHorse
Older than it looks but beware Irish Pubs promoting Carlsberg

Devitts, Camden Street

Reminding me of the Long Hall from pub crawl two, this is a long thin pub, with a huge bar.  Nowhere to perch downstairs, so I follow the signage advice to find the upstairs bar.   Its locked.  Back down just in time to stand and watch the two talented musicians starting their set.

Devitts
First Lounge Bar of the Night
Devitts (3)
Little Room at the Inn

Stags Head, 1 Dame Court

Making my way back across the Liffey, trusting the egg chuckers have either gone to bed or been arrested, and I am nearly in the heart of Temple Bar.

StagsHead
Stags Head
Place available at the bar to observe the comedy bar man run through his full range of tourist teasing japes.   He was rather good at his job, especially when it came to upselling whiskey.   I was tempted but it was a school night.

I need to re-watch Educating Rita and see if I can identify the interior shots.

Bankers, Trinity Street

A nice looking boozer in the heart of the City that I couldn't resist a visit.  However, I was the only punter, which led for a strange atmosphere after the how busy all the other establishments were.

I'll have to try again, earlier in the evening.

The Bankers
The Bankers
Think that's Dublin over for pub blogging, but you never know.   There may be others not found over the three visits.

What a City for pub architecture!

No comments:

Post a Comment