Sunday 11 November 2018

11/11/18 - Heart of England Way - Stage 20 - Great Alne

Distance - 8.2 Miles
Geocaches - 7
Pub - Would have been the Mother Huff Cap
Previous Stages - Stage 1Stage 2Stage 3Stage 4Stage 5Stage 6Stage 7Stage 8Stage 9Stage 10Stage 11Stage 12Stage 13Stage 14Stage 15Stage 16Stage 17Stage 18, Stage 19


Surprisingly, I've not walked from Great Alne before.  It's situated half way between the much visited walking hot spots of Henley in Arden and Alcester.  Earlier this year, I walked between those two towns and managed to not use a single path encountered today.

It also meant I had the chance of a new pub tick - the intriguingly named Mother Huff Cap.   

Which is where I start stage 20 of the HOEW.   This time next year, I will be finished.

Mother Huff Cap - Great Alne
Mother Huff Cap - Saving it for later
So the walking... a figure of 8 walk on paths that are shared with the Monarchs Way and the Arden Way.  Flat, not too muddy and no dangerous live stock.  No mid point refreshment.  There's little to tell, apart from general Warwickshire loveliness.

Early Tracks
Early Path
Views
Warwickshire Views on the way back

There is something to make this walk stand out.   My most found Cache Owner, HKMHill has recognised the quality of the walking and laid a super multicache trail.   In an attempt to protect the most prized of all geocaching assets, the Ammo Can, it's required to find a smaller cache container with the co-ordinates to the booty.   Even then, its not always straightforward.  Jigsaws are successfully completed, sticks are fetched from piles of other sticks and a sudoku style number grid was abandoned due to lack of time.   I needed to fit my pint in before heading home for a 1:30pm curfew.   The in-laws are coming for lunch.

I didn't get them all, but I really enjoyed the ones I did.  Thanks again.... your place at the top of the CO pile is further protected!

King of the Cache Container
Some Ammo Cans Remain unfound
8 miles in and I have about 15 minutes available to check out the Mother Huffcap.  I'd looked at their website before attending to get a feel for the place.   I didn't look closely enough.

Four days too early
Today's the 11th.  Four days too early
So, I have an excuse to come back for the rest of the caches.

And the in-laws were delighted with my timekeeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment