Saturday 3 November 2018

03/11/18 - The Hole in the Wall, Waterloo

There's been a new entry for Waterloo in the Good Beer Guide since my last visit, just before the latest 2019 release.

It's fair to say that I would not have entered the Hole in the Wall unless I had been "guided".

Hole in the Wall, Waterloo
It's not a looker
Never judge a book by its cover, they say, so I man up an enter the least attractive of my many ticks.

What's inside?   Well, more than you would expect is the answer.   There is a smaller bar to one side but that's packed, so I head the larger room.

Its near windowless and exactly what you'd expect from a railway arch.   The rugby watching punters are happy enough.

Hole in the Wall, Waterloo
Saturday Afternoon, 3pm.
I managed to find a high stool to block people at the bar.   Not totally my fault - I find a large gap but am told my the mo'vembered, hirsute  bar man to keep that bit free for service area.   I am forced to cuddle up close to an older couple and learn their experienced ways.   Pick your glass up when a train rumbles overhead, as everything rattles. 

It reminded me of the dinner party scene when Morgan Freeman visits Brad Pitt at the start of Seven.

Only thing left to describe is the beer quality.   It may have been the ceremonial glass but the Hogsback T.E.A. was better than I've ever previously experienced.

Another result for the GBG.

TEA at the Hole in the Wall
Afternoon T.E.A.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the Hole in the Wall. It has been a long established real bar that I first discovered back in the early 90s when I made the move from the Midlands to London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Needed a prompt to venture in! Will be back when I'm in the area!

      Delete