Drinking with the Archers..... How Much!
Inkberrow, Worcestershire, is connected to the county town by an infrequent bus service. Running only sporadically, it means that once I'm there, I'm stuck for a while. Fortunately, there are two pubs in which to while away the time. The bull seems to have been an animal of particular importance to past landlords, featuring in the names of both of them.
The village is one of the oldest in Worcestershire - with plenty of history. The name derives from "Inta's Burial Mounds", suggesting ancient civilisations were there. There was a castle. There is still a moat. Charles I apparently left his battle plans for Naseby at the vicarage. Which provides an indication on how that worked out for him.
In more modern times, the Old Bull is the inspiration for the pub in Radio 4's The Archers. We'll come to that once I have calmed down. There is a plot spoiler in the blog title.
Today's walking is haphazard, as I am on a Geocache Trail - which takes in around 30, including some pirate themed Adventure Lab Caches. Don't ask. It's better that way.
Some nice views over the Worcestershire low-lands to the Malvern Hills, showing how it runs as a ridge up to Abberley.
Caching completed at 11:50am. The next (but one) bus home at 14:50. Can I stretch three hours over two pubs? I do have the Metro newspaper and my cryptic crossword solving skills are improving.
The Old Bull
This is an entry in my 1960s Pub Guide - Historic and New Inns of Interest.
It's what you would want from a country pub. Ancient flagged floors, low ceilings, oak beams, signs saying "bullshit corner", 1970s pop playing out over external speakers. Catering for the tourists, there are some Ambridge Photos and an eye watering price list.
When Butty Bach is £5.70, the game has gone.
I stayed for two, just to make sure I hadn't bene overcharged.
Still, there is something quaint about riders parking their horses (do you park a horse?), under the village green tree and nipping in for a pint in their jodhpurs. Cost consciously frugal foal fans can go to Costcutter.
Told you that Bulls are important to Inkberrow. I suppose with such a famous pub over the road, they are on a hiding to nothing here. Indeed, there were just a couple of old boys and a TV tuned to one of the last music channels, with the volume far too loud.
It's a Wye Valley House - and really, I should have had another Butty for cost comparison. Instead, I gave £6.50 to Jeremy Clarkson for his Hawkstone Lager.





No comments:
Post a Comment