Monday Lunchtime Ticking
Never the best day for visiting pubs, but I don't do too badly in Sedgley. I was here on the trail of a Victorian Widow (read on, if interested) but in the back of my mind, I knew there was another Sedgley item on my Google Calendar To Do List.
Nine available but as stated, it's Monday. Wallet and liver will be safe.
2. The Beacon Hotel
The first I reach, on my approach from a hidden medieval lane across Turl's Hill. It should be number 1 on your list too. In other pubs, I am taken as a pub tourist and the bar staff there ask "Have you been to the Beacon Hotel?".
Even when their own pub is empty.
It's the brew pub for Sarah Hughes, where their Ruby Mild is the stuff of legend. Facebook showed a delighted punter finding it in Portsmouth on the weekend. You might think a 6% easy drinker is the strongest drink available. The chalk written board has a brew called Hedgerow - coming in at a whopping 7.3%.
The bar is a near unique experience. There is a glass partition that only opens to belly button height. You can either remain anonymous, or crouch down - where the staff crouch down back to meet your gaze. It must be a health and safety concern for cricked necks for staff and punters alike.
Once you've chosen your poison, you have a considerably bigger decision to make. Where to sit. There appears to be room after room internally and then a pleasant rear patio and play area. Or you can just do what this tourist did - wander around until you find the most life.
I love the old school opening hours..... maybe it was so busy, as people know it closes at 2:30 for an afternoon hiatus.
3. The White Lion - Closed on a Monday lunchtime.
4. The Bulls Head
A pleasant enough Holdens Pub, suffering with a lack of punters. I awoke the barmaid from her doom-scrolling and enjoyed another tick on the Holdens Chain, with a Black Country Special.
1. Mount Pleasant and 9. The Crown - The Mount Pleasant is a "Want to Go" but is not open on many lunchtimes, so saved for another day. The Crown, a desi pub, will be ticked on that day.
7. Sandy's - The only one on the PDF that is closed down. It was a cafe with an alcohol licence.
8. Seven Stars - Too far out of my way.
5. The Clifton
'Spoons cannot be kept out of the news. This week, the mainstream media has Timbo's announcement that mobile phones on loudspeaker are to be banned. The sooner we give this man other parts of society to manage, the better. And in the latest Critic Magazine - a two page article in praise of the most democratic of pub chains.
The crux of the article - how he saves important high street buildings, promotes cask ales and offers value for money for all perfectly experienced during my visit of this old picture house which would be otherwise left to rot.Timely article in this month's The Critic.
— Mappiman (@Mappiman1) August 18, 2026
Mirroring yesterday's joy. pic.twitter.com/NKDJVBPUPe
6. The Swan Inn
A little bit of an ugly duckling - I couldn't find a decent angle to photograph it in a reasonable light. It certainly exceeded expectations. Two old boys watching the golf and one old girl with an older dog did not seem to warrant the four cask ales available.
Yet, my Town Crier was in perfect condition.
You cannot always succumb to your own prejudices.
And on blogging, I determine it's in the 2026 Good Beer Guide. My 1191 tick.
Reassuring to see that I concur with the bible, even when unaware.







No comments:
Post a Comment